Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, November 16, 2006
No Complaining Thursday, Ver. 2.0
As per Betty's request:

Things I Am Not Complaining About Today

  • T and I have decided to stay here in Pond House for Christmas. Typically, we travel 8-10 hours north each year to see our families and then drive 8-10 hours back home, and this year we've decided to have our own celebration here, and to invite our families to spend the holiday with us. Much to our surprise, my family is actually considering breaking a 30+ year tradition to come to Midwestern State for Christmas, which would be amazing and fun. Even if they don't come, I'm pleased that we are staying put this year (for the first time ever).
  • Even better: MIL has decided to spend the holiday with her parents (who are very ill) in Arizona. But even better than that: we won't see BIL and SIL over the holiday, either, which will make Christmas that much merrier (for me, at least).

  • Speaking of holidays, I am very thrilled that Corinne, Ben, and their girls are coming to Pond House for Thanksgiving. I invited them way back in July before we moved, never imagining that they'd actually take me up on it (Corinne is very, very stuck in her ways). They will arrive Thursday morning and leave Saturday morning. Now to plan the menu!

  • I am a member of The Good Cook , a cookbook club. I just recieved the book Perfect Recipes for Having People Over on the same day I received my latest issue of Everyday Food. It does not get much better than that, friends.

  • I got my hair cut at a new salon on Tuesday (I usually just wait for my sister Julie to cut it for me, since she always knows just what to do) and the stylist did a fantastic job. I have pretty low-maintenance hair, and it was nice to have a stylist who didn't try to talk me into spending 20 minutes a day on my hair when I know I won't. I am finally free of the pony-tail and my hair, at last, looks tidy and healthy again.
  • I only have to prepare one lecture for tomorrow. I am holding mini-conferences with the students in my Senior Seminar, discussing their papers that are due December 4, which means no formal lecture preparation.

  • Yesterday, while in the car with T, some awful Justin Timberlake song came on the radio (T actually listens to popular music -- I refuse). "Dad!" ST screamed from his carseat behind us, "PLEASE turn off this CRAP!" While I do not condone his use of the word "crap," I do appreciate his taste in music.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 11/16/2006 08:50:00 AM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger betty said…

    Wow, it sounds like your holiday plans are shaping up to be exactly what you'd like them to be. It sounds like fun that your friends are coming for Thanksgiving! Have a great time!

    Also, hooray for good haircuts and for kids who don't care if Justin is 'bringing sexy back' or whatever he's doing.

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Yay, such a positive post! I really need plenty of those right now to cheer me up :)

    The cookbooks sound fantastic, I'm glad that your friend is coming for Christmas and that the haircut was just perfect.

    Now, I just hope my sons get to have a good taste in music like ST :)

    I love to spend Christmas at our house. It already happened quite a few times, and with my husband's full and almost full family to boot, so I don't mind going to my SIL and BIL's this year.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    Oh, I envy you your holiday at home. We've only ever spent one Christmas in our own house and that was the Christmas I was due with Tessa. I couldn't travel since my due date was so close and it was wonderful to wake up in our own house and have our own traditions.

    I love going to my parents' house for the holidays, but it is hard to travel and not have your own traditions.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER