Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Rewards
Most of yesterday afternoon was spent in meetings with students.

Student A (Senior Seminar): "You mentioned the possibility of doing student-faculty research. I know there are a few students in our class who wanted to work with you, but I'm hoping I got here first!"

Student B (Senior Seminar): "Can we do the Jeopardy thing again sometime? I have other classes with the people in Senior Seminar, and everyone's still talking about it. None of the other professors in this department do creative things like that." (The last bit is untrue -- there's lots of creative teaching in my department -- but the comment made me feel good nonetheless.)

Student C (Intro to Subfield): "At first I thought I'd hate the reading quizzes, but I get way more out of lecture when I'm forced to read the stuff in advance. I hate to admit it, but the quizzes are a good idea." (Third reading quiz is tomorrow.)

Student D (Intro to Subfield, Zombie Class): "I know it was awkward for you to crack down on the class last week, but thanks for doing it. It's much easier to talk in class now."

Student E (Senior Seminar, via email): "I've been meaning to tell you this for a few weeks, but I'm really enjoying this class. I wasn't sure what to expect, but you really put in a lot of effort to make the class interesting and fun. And you know what else? I've been here three years, and you're the only professor who knows my name. Thanks!"

Some days, I really DO love my job.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/10/2006 10:51:00 AM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER