Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Recuperating
My parents were here this weekend. They arrived on Friday night and left yesterday morning. From the moment they arrived until the moment they left, we were in full work-mode. As a result I am completely exhausted: I am still recuperating from my weekend.

What we accomplished (now with photos!):

Stripped cutesy 1980s wallpaper from half-bath off of the kitchen. This was a bigger project than I imagined it would be, simply because the wallpaper was so old it was coming off in tiny shreds. This weekend I'm hoping to paint in there, as soon as T and I can decide on a color. After the stripping experience, I'm very glad it was the only room that was wallpapered.

Mom stripping wallpaper

Installed new microwave. The house came with a microwave, a greasy white Whirlpool Gold that was held together with duct tape. (Classy!) We've replaced it with a stainless steel microwave to match our other appliances. Now the only white appliance left in the kitchen is the dishwasher. The replacement dishwasher I want is kind of expensive, and since this white one works fine we've decided to hold off on making another big purchase.

New Microwave (Stove/Oven purchased August 2006)

Demolished entryway closet. We had a closet between our main entrance and our garage entrance just off the kitchen. The closet made the corridor between the two entrances rather tight, and so we ripped it out. This was a huge project that involved a lot of re-wiring and lots of gypsum dust from the new drywall, but in the end the new entryway is a LOT larger and is precisely what we wanted. T is continually amazed by what my Dad knows how to do -- my Dad is not trained in construction at all, but seems to know how to tackle any project, large or small. "I definitely married up," T said last night. "I married into talent!"



Closet progress: Saturday and Sunday. The half-bath is the doorway in the back; the kitchen is the entrance to the left. I'm taking this photo near the main front door entrance. The white door on the right is our garage entrance. New tile flooring coming soon to replace poorly-laid and very ugly vinyl. Clearly, we still have to mud and tape the drywall and then repaint.

Removed ugly Love Boat light fixture in the stairwell, and patched holes where matching Love Boat sconces once hung. This job was tedious for T and my Dad and still isn't quite complete because T had to re-mud some of the drywall patch after he found a few bubbles. We haven't yet replaced the light fixture in the stairwell because we can't find anything we really like. We want something in the Mission/Arts & Crafts style (since that's what most of our furniture is), and everything we've found thus far is a bit too "curvy."

Wired for a garbage disposal. A major source of frustration for me in my kitchen is the lack of a garbage disposal. Dad told T how to wire an outlet for one, and to T's surprise he was able to do it himself! Now we just need to hire a plumber to install the disposal. "I do everything BUT plumbing," Dad said. "Too messy." Agreed.

So it was a busy weekend, but a lot of great projects were completed or mostly completed. I told my parents that I was never again going to clean BEFORE they arrived, since the place is always trashed minutes after they walk in the door! I am going to be mopping up gypsum dust for the next month and a half, I'm sure, and I've already had to wash everything that I had sitting on my kitchen counters (cake safe, utensils, toaster) twice.

I have a busy week ahead, too. Exams and papers to finish grading, a few complicated lectures to write, and lots of other paperwork to get off of my desk. Add that to the fact that my little Superman has to go trick-or-treating tonight... I'd better get cracking!

ST's serious "Man of Steel" face; just look at those abs!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/31/2006 08:03:00 AM  
8 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    Y'all kill me. I can't believe how much stuff you get done in a weekend. It's just amazing. I can't wait to see the photos.

    Your dad sounds like a great mentor for T and I know your dad must love bonding with T in the process. :) Enjoy all the new features and try to get some rest.

    Post a pic of your Superman in disguise if you can.

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger betty said…

    wow i'm tired just reading this. good thing you have ST's muscles to help out around the house!

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Oh my, I'm tired after reading all that you all did this past weekend.

    Luv the pic of ST!

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    You are a home repair goddess! If you ever decide to leave academics, you have another career just waiting for you.

    And what an awesome microwave! I am quite covetous of all your shiny new appliances. Mine are...functional. Which, if they're listening, is a good thing!!

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    ST is my favorite! I hope he had a wonderful Halloween. Did he get to go out for the whole trick or treat experience? My girls were hilarious since they both couldn't believe how easy it was to just ring the bell and get candy! :)

    The renovations are impressive. Love the new microwave. Thanks for posting all the pics. You're still my hero.

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger grumpyABDadjunct said…

    OMG you people are such doers! It would take weeks to get all of that done around here...no more like months!

    I have an idea for your dishwasher. Contact a metal work place and see if they can make a stainless steel cover for the door. A friend of mine did this, it cost a couple hundred bucks and looks great.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    WOW, you did some amazing stuff for just one weekend!!

    And I love what T said about marrying up!! Marrying talent. I hope my husband feels that same away about my dad...

    The microwave looks awesome and the hallway is GREAT!!!!

    What a cute superman. I can't thank you enough for so many photos :)

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    That microwave/stove combo is gorgeous! Well done on all the work--it's amazing and inspirational!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER