Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, October 19, 2006
No Complaining Thursday
Concept courtesy of the fantastic Betty.

Things I'm Not Complaining About Today:

1.) My BIL, with whom I generally have a rocky relationship, called last night to talk to T. T was still at work (worked until 9:00pm last night, but I'm not complaining) and so I talked to BIL for almost 45 minutes! The conversation was actually -- dare I say it? -- enjoyable.

2.) T and I finally put up the beautiful mirror in our dressing area, the same mirror that was sitting in our bedroom for several weeks awaiting installation. It looks awesome.

(There used to be a mirror filling the entire wall above the counter here, topped by those ugly Hollywood dressing room lights. The wall also used to be painted the color of gel toothpaste; now it's the same color as our bedroom. You can't see it here, but we also replaced the cabinet hardware in this dressing area as well as in our bathroom. The old hardware was cheap fake gold crap. It's black now -- and at $6.99 per knob/pull, it had better look nice! The countertop still needs replacing, but that will probably have to wait until the new year. And hey, I'm not complaining about that.)

3.) One of my students came to my office hours to discuss graduate school and her own graduation from SMU. She was convinced that she would graduate in Fall 2007, and was unhappy about it. I looked at her academic report from the Registrar's office and, together with Amy (Best Administrative Assistant EVER), we figured out a way for her to graduate this spring. Both student and professor were very, very pleased!

4.) My MIL is coming for her first visit to Pond House tomorrow. We're excited to see her -- mostly ST, who has been counting down the days all week: "Tomorrow when I get up it will be just one more day until Grandma comes!"

5.) After watching the BBC news last night and seeing a report on the China-North Korea border, ST wanted to know what "China" was (he was convinced that he'd been there, given that he's eaten Chinese food). We pulled out his atlas, looked at all of the countries, and figured out where China was in relation to the United States. On the page where the 50 states are listed and described there was a small picture of an American flag. "Oh!" ST said, smiling, "That's the same flag we have in my preschool!" Then to my amazement he stood up, put his hand over his heart, and recited the Pledge of Allegiance. I had no idea he knew it. (His version went, "... one nation, under God, unbelievable, with liberty and justice for all.")

6.) Today I am writing a lecture (to give tomorrow) about one of my favorite topics ever. It's nice to be able to talk about things you really, really care abut.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/19/2006 08:30:00 AM  
8 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger *statgirl* said…

    Way to go ST, I second your thought....."unbelievable".....

    Congrats on getting all settled in!

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    The decorating in our houses sounds remarkably similar in its bad taste! I'm working on replacing all the cheap gold hardware that is to be found everywhere; eventually I want to replace all the door knobs, too - the gold crap is flaking off, which only draws the eye to its hideousness.

    Current task: replacing the grotesque towels bars and other bathroom hardware. Fake gold with clear acrylic - I kid you not. I've got a question about that but I'll put it up on my blog rather than take over your comments.

    You and T make a very good fixer-upper team. I could use you guys for a weekend!

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Thanks for my morning smile. I think Pond House will be ready for guests real soon. ;)

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said…

    Great list--and the mirror is gorgeous, as is everything you do!

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    The mirror is *beautiful*--I love it! What a great list of things to feel good about...I am so anxious to sell our house, move, and start really settling into a new place and making our mark on it!

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger betty said…

    that is definitely a good list - i love the mirror and ST's pledge of allegience. sometimes our nation is pretty unbelievable. what a smart kid!

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I *love* the mirror and lights.

    Great list. I hope you're still in the same mood after your MIL's visit :)

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said…

    ST is correct, we are unbelievable... for sure!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER