Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Just Like Old Times
Until today, I had not graded a paper since May 2005. I had forgotten how mind-numbingly boring it is. I had also forgotten the sense of relief one feels upon finally reading the paper of a student who "gets" it, that student paper that captures every piece of knowledge the assignment was designed to capture.

I am lucky that this is my first grading experience this semester. Thus far, Amy (Awesome Administrative Assistant) has graded small assignments and reading quizzes for me. ("I just loooove to grade!" she wrote to me when I asked, unbelieving, if she'd really handle my reading quizzes. She enjoys it and she does a great, quick job.) Thirty writing assignments down, sixty more to go. It will be a long, boring evening. (I've got rooms to paint, doggone it! How dare this job interfere with my decorating plans!)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/07/2006 02:43:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:38 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Keep it up, Prof. Me. I'm enjoying vicariously avoiding the inane. You positively make my limbo seem palatable.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Ah, it's all for you, AD. As I was grading late last night (while T and ST were down by the pond at night, watching a bonfire and roasting marshmallows), I actually thought, "And Articulate Dad WANTS this?!" Some days, friend, you can have it!

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said…

    Not to rain on your grading help -- but my administration would pitch a huge fit if an administrative assistant person had access to student grades in any form. They see it as an educational records privacy act violation... so, since she'll do it, keep it quiet :).

    My AA can't even run the in the scanron machine if they have code names or look at my grade spreadsheet after there is one bit of a grade or attendance data. It is iffy to have her do anything with a class list.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    IPF: wow! I never really thought of the privacy issue before you brought this up. She grades small reading quizzes and multiple choice assignments for all of the faculty in the department, not just me -- I wonder if I should say something after all, if we may be in violation of FERPA? Thanks for bringing it up. I know Amy has access to all student records already, if that makes a difference.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER