Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, October 23, 2006
All Complaining Monday
Since I haven't posted since No Complaining Thursday, this post will be devoted to all of the things I AM complaining about today: All Complaining Monday. I am not by nature a complainer: it takes a LOT to make me angry or sad, and I tend to see the bright side of everything. But... well, it's Monday. It's raining. And I'm tired and a bit cranky. Hence, All Complaining Monday (PM Edition).

Things I AM Complaining About Today:

1.) For some odd reason my face seems to be breaking out. Not anything major, but I generally have very clear skin and so this is particularly annoying. Of course the mini-breakout could be due to the fact that I consumed huge quantities of quality dark chocolate with MIL this weekend, but I'm going to rule that out. Dark chocolate is good for you. Look it up.

2.) Our mostly well-behaved cat Belle is driving me insane. If I leave anything out on the kitchen counter she will hop onto the counter to investigate and chomp on it. Example: this weekend MIL and I planned to make my Nearly Famous Vanilla Cupcakes, and so we left a stick of butter on the counter to soften (as you do). When we returned from a short trip to the grocery store, we discovered that Belle had eaten the middle of the stick of butter and had left greasy paw prints all over the kitchen. Gross. She is now going up there even when there's NOTHING there to entice her. This is annoying, and she never did that at our old house.

3.) I was lecturing this afternoon and totally lost my place in the middle of explaining something very complicated. I hate it when that happens. I think I confused my students even more than they already were after doing the readings. This means I'll be doing damage control on Wednesday, and I hate doing that.

4.) I have a stack of 35 6-8 page take-home midterm exams to grade. I have had them since October 13. I have not touched a single one of them yet. That stinks. I am praying for a teaching assistant to fall from the sky and take care of them for me. I'll let you know what God's response to that is.

5.) I had tentatively scheduled a lunch date with a new friend in a different department. We had scheduled the lunch last week and I was really looking forward to it. However, T and I also have a completely clogged bathtub drain that has not responded at all to OTC plumbing products. As luck would have it, the plumber could ONLY come between 9:00am and 2:00pm tomorrow. Raincheck on that fun lunch date, please.

6.) ST has decided that it's "Dad Week" (his term). This means that Mom is persona non grata for the time being. I'm not sure what happens during "Dad Week," but it must be pretty doggone fun and it stinks that I'm not included. T, of course, thinks it's funny and I have to admit that I do, too, but I am already missing bathtime ("Only BOYS in the bathroom tonight, Mom!") and storytime and "Dad Week" has just begun.

7.) My students are taking a midterm exam on Friday. It is half multiple-choice and half essay. This means that I will have essay exams looming large over my weekend with my parents. I will have to accept that the exams will simply not be touched until at least Tuesday of next week. When the teaching assistant fairy comes to grade my other exams, I'm sure he/she will grade these, too. I'll keep you posted.

8.) I have an intense craving for cauliflower. I ate the last bit of it tonight with my dinner. Every now and again (every 2-3 months, maybe?) my body seems to NEED cauliflower -- I don't know why, but I do know that I'm unhappy that I can't satify my current cauliflower deficiency.

9.) Today the left leg hem of my favorite gray pants from Ann Taylor fell. It was a rainy/snowy, disgusting day. This means that I was essentially walking on my fallen hem, grinding muddy water into the fabric before I had a chance to make an emergency pants repair with masking tape. Now I have to dry clean the pants AND hem them again. Very annoying.

10.) It is COLD here. Average temperature for this time of year is around 56 degrees. We have not seen 50 for at least two weeks. It was snowing today. I love winter, but I'm not quite sure I'm ready for it. ST has already lost one pair of mittens, T can't find the scarf that goes with his dress coat, and I have no idea where the red scarf Mom made especially for me ended up after the move. Unfortunately, it's supposed to average around 40 degrees the rest of the week.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 10/23/2006 10:03:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    In a word: yuck. Complaining is justified and heartily endorsed.

    The weather is disgusting here, too, and I HATE it. I may not like hot weather but I want my sun and lots of it.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Phew! I am relieved :) Thing is, I wanted to write a very whiney post yesterday (and I am a complainer by nature -- my poor hubby HATES that), but I felt kind of guilty, because I so admired your no-complaining post from Thursday. I couldn't really write one, so I didn't even try, but I counteracted with flower photos :)

    Anyway, you have all the right in the world to be annoyed with those things.

    And the best of luck with the fairy teaching assistant :) (I loved that, it made me smile)

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    I hope today is better for ya! {{{hugs}}}

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER