Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, September 10, 2006
Whirlwind Weekend
We just arrived home after a very busy weekend, and we are all looking forward to a peaceful weekend at home this coming Saturday and Sunday. Here's what the weekend looked like for us:

Friday night: frantically pack for trip to Home State to attend the wedding of one of T's best friends. Attempt to pull ST inside the house after a late afternoon spent trying to catch falling leaves and collecting toads and bugs in his "adventure bucket." (A red bucket with a yellow handle that he totes through the woods and along the pond when he's "exploring.") Run to the mall to buy something for myself to wear to the wedding (ended up with this and this). Iron. Figure out which books to take with me in the car. Pack car. Pack snacks for the journey.

Saturday morning: finish folding the last load of laundry. Pry ST out of bed to get ready. Drive five hours to Home State.

Saturday afternoon: drop ST off with my sister Julie and her boyfriend for the day. Head to the hotel where the wedding and reception will be held. Get lost twice and have to backtrack. Listen to T grumble about getting lost because he never gets lost. Arrive at hotel, check in. T dashes to Crate and Barrel to pick up last part of gift. I write something sweet in the card, and then silently fume about how much we've had to spend on this stupid wedding ($350 for T to attend the bachelor party, $150 on the gift, $130 on the hotel for a night, way too much on outfit for me, etc.). T returns. Watch last bit of college football game to see how Doctoral University fared.

Saturday evening: wedding. Bride and groom looked lovely and radiantly happy. Ceremony too short and cliche, music VERY cliche (Pachelbel's Canon in D? Give me a freakin' break). String quartet too loud. Nonetheless, attend dinner and reception with a smile. Meet a lot of T's friends from high school for the first time. All of them seem to like me, and T is beaming when he says, "This is my wife, [Real Name]. She's a professor at Smallish Midwestern University." Eat cliche wedding food and wedding cake. Dance a little to cliche wedding music. Chat, chat, chat until 1:30am. Return to hotel room. Stay up later... ahem.

Sunday morning: barely open our eyes when the phone rings. ST is calling to check on us. He's having a ball and wants to know if he can have Peanut M&Ms for breakfast. Dash his hopes. Hop in the shower. Repack. Tidy hotel room (I am physically incapable of leaving a bed unmade, even when I know the housekeepers will strip it anyway). Drive to my aunt's house, where sister Julie has brought ST for the night.

Sunday afternoon: have great time with my aunt, uncle, my little seven-month old cousin I've never met, Julie, her boyfriend, ST and T. Pack up ST's things. Say goodbye to relatives until Christmas. Drive five hours home, barely keeping eyes open. Manage to write half of my lecture for tomorrow for one of my classes and partially plan out the other class while in the car.

Sunday night: arrive at Pond House. Do laundry. Make supper. Clean out the Honda. Have a mug of hot chocolate. Blog in order to avoid starting work on the second lecture after mostly completing the first. Wonder if I should post lecture notes? Wonder if I'll make sense? Mostly, wonder if I'll be able to drag myself out of bed in the morning. Not looking promising, seeing as how I'll be up until at least midnight tonight. Getting more tired just thinking about it.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/10/2006 09:36:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger betty said…

    at certainly does sound busy! sounds like it went well though (altough why are weddings so expensive?).

    reading about your hot chocolate makes me want some too. mmmmm.

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    Whoa, Nellie! Heck of a weekend. The driving to it all makes it even more exhausting. Glad you passed muster with the hometown crowd. No surprise there. Even better that ST had a great time on his own adventure. Let us know how the week goes.

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said…

    Wow, crazy weekend!

    I do have to speak up in defense of Pachelbel's Canon. I personally think it's one of the most expressive pieces of music ever written, coveying such an incredible range of emotion, happy and sad, very complete. Just my two cents, though :-)

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Jeannette said…

    String quartet too loud!? That cracks me up! When I wedding gigged (I play cello), we always grumbled how hard it was to be heard. Maybe the hotel setting instead of cavernous church setting made the diff. ha.

    Canon isn't expressive. A listener's experience may be expressive, but it's a canon, an exercise in counterpoint. It's not intended to convey emotion. Sorry, the inner musicologist cannot resist...

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    A mini-controversy brewing about "Canon in D!" I love it!

    I think that is just about my least favorite pieces of music, and that is simply due to the fact that as a flute player, I have played that stupid canon about 85,468 times, about 84,000 of those times at weddings. I don't think it's expressive, either. I just think it's annoying. (And terribly cliche at a wedding. But then again, at this wedding they also played the typical "Here Comes the Bride" bit, and that nearly sent me over the edge.)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER