Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Weekend Ends, Another Week Awaits
When I first started this teaching schedule, Trudie, the other female faculty member in our department, said, "Watch out. With a MWF schedule, you never really have a weekend." At first I didn't really understand what she meant but it's all clear now: I am preparing for class every single day of the week except Saturday. That, my friends, kind of sucks.

Nevertheless, we have had a productive weekend thus far. (Mine officially ends after I type up this post, since I have to write two lectures for tomorrow.) Friday night we went to a fall dinner on campus, a yearly event where the parents and students have a huge supper with faculty, staff, and their families. It was a lot of fun, and ST was on his best behavior (impressing even the Chancellor). We didn't get home until around 9:30pm, after which time T and I made out our weekly meal plan and watched a stupid movie he'd checked out from the library. (The only reason I even watched it was because it had Owen Wilson in it; the way he talks just cracks me up. That and the fact that he has an ugly nose; I feel some attachment to him because I think my nose is ugly, too.)

Saturday was very, very busy -- so much so that it spilled over into today. We started out by taking in another of SMU's parent/student weekend events, and then we went to a local pizzeria for a huge lunch together. Then the shopping began: paint, brushes, cabinet hardware, towel bars, a mirror, a new tension rod for the shower curtain, new light fixtures, etc. Nearly $500 later, we were ready to tackle the master bathroom and dressing area at Pond House. I painted nearly all night, changing the bathroom from what we referred to as "Aquafresh Green" to a calm vanilla cream color (Sherwin-Williams calls it "Navajo White," and it's a shade or two lighter than "Ivoire," which is the color of our bedroom.) T was busy most of the evening disassembling our master closet (which is larger than the largest bathroom in our old house!) and reassembling it to make more sense. We worked and cleaned all night; T hopes to finish the bathroom portion tonight if he can pull himself away from his yard. The dressing room portion should be finished mid-week. I'll post pictures of everything when we're done.

This morning I roasted some fall vegetables (per the instructions in the latest edition of Everyday Food) in preparation for our dinner of Roasted Fall Vegetable Soup tonight. Then ST and I picked the apples from our apple trees so that we can make applesauce later this week. T and ST were busy most of the day mowing the yard and picking up the millions of sticks on the grass, and also setting up our new birdfeeders (complete with baffles, to keep the greedy chipmunks away!). ST had a haircut, lunch, and watched the famous Gene Kelly umbrella dance routine from Singin' in the Rain while he ate (he's been wanting to see that for ages, since I always sing that song to him when it's raining, which it did all day yesterday). Now the boys are outside goofing off and I am settled in to write my lectures.

A busy weekend, but a good one. I'm ready for the week to begin (or at least I will be once these doggone lectures are finished!), but I just can't wait for Friday to be here again.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/24/2006 02:28:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Ianqui said…

    Wow, you have an apple tree? That's so cool!

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    I'll be awaiting the pics of your home improvement work. My husband spent the past three weeks painting our tiny master bath--I admire how quickly you can get work done on the house!

    I know what you mean about the MWF schedule. I burned the midnight oil last night grading oh so many papers--I, too, can't wait for Friday to roll around again.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Wow, you truly are getting a lot done in the house! I didn't like teaching MWF either. The toughest schedule I ever had was during a winter section, when I had to teach every day for two hours and a half at a time! During the summer the classes met Tu,Wed,Th for the same length of time -- which was also very intense, but left a 4 day break in between. Nothing beats TuTh, though...

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I love Singin in the Rain--one of my all-time favs. ST has excellent taste!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER