Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Updates
Sorry for the sporadic posting lately, but preparing these lectures, going to meetings, and trying to track down some data for a research project (in addition to my "normal" Mom, Wife, and housekeeping duties) is really taking every ounce of time I have. In any case, a few updates:

Preschool situation: turned out very well. I turned in a nice letter on Monday morning, and the Director of ST's current preschool was sad but she said that she understood. His last day there will be 9/29, and his first day at the Daniels preschool will be 10/2. I'm really excited for him to start there, and I hope that it's not too jarring of a transition for him, poor kid.

ST at preschool: yes, I'm excited for him to start at Daniels, but I'm more excited for him to get used to the routine of preschool. Preschool is really his first experience with full-time care, and he's not taking it terribly well. Mornings are pretty traumatic around here; he cries from the moment we put him in his carseat in the morning until the moment we drop him off and have to leave him. The Director and ST's teacher say that he calms down and is fine and happy about 10 minutes after we've left, but it still stinks to start each morning that way.

Work stuff: my courses are going well, for the most part. The senior seminar is by far my favorite, followed by my large (60 student) section of Intro to Subfield. My small (30 student) section of Intro to Subfield is another story, however. The section is in the morning, which is probably the reason it's such a dead, boring class. They don't talk. They don't read. They don't participate in any way. I can barely tell they're breathing. Monday I asked them to get into groups and discuss a reading I'd assigned and they didn't say a word. Honestly, not a word. Instead, they all sat there reading the article because NO ONE had read it before class. Grr. Granted, it wasn't the most scintillating stuff, but still -- it was an assignment!

House Stuff: not much new to report here. The weekend project was a dull one: cleaning the windows and screens and oiling the opening mechanisms. The adventure of the weekend, on the other hand, was an exciting one: we decided to take a canoe ride on Saturday afternoon. I got in first, then ST, and then T. T stepped in and the canoe instantaneously tipped over, flipping us all into the muck-filled pond. I am not exaggerating when I say I was up to my KNEES in pond muck. (The part of the pond where we launch our canoe is right under a huge, huge, huge cottonwood tree, and so the tree is constantly dumping nature-trash into the pond and it turns into sticky, black muck.) It was disgusting beyond belief. ST laughed the whole time as he bobbed up and down in the stinky water, suspended there by his lifejacket. Needless to say, we all had baths after that incident, and the washing machine's limits were tested by T and ST's muck-encrusted tennis shoes.

More later, perhaps on Thursday.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/19/2006 10:26:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said…

    I have had problems similar to your small class deadness... I finally decided to start each class period with a few questions they needed to answer from the reading. They get about 5 or 10 minutes to do so. Class discussions are getting better now and they seem to be more likely to have tried to do the reading now that we are in a routine of starting each new philosopher with the group discussion thing.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    IPF: that's a really great idea. I might do that starting next week, when we're into material that SHOULD be very interesting for them. In fact, today I might even have them do one of those "one minute papers" and have them write on one thing they learned from the readings today. Thanks for your suggestion!

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I agree it's an excellent suggestion.

    As for falling into the mucky pond, that was really funny. I know it must have been very yucky, but's a funny "adventure" nonetheless!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER