Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, September 01, 2006
The Ugly is (Almost) History
Tonight I submit for your enjoyment photos of the Ugliest Bathroom in History. It's been done (or as done as it is going to be until we can rip the place apart and start over, as we plan to do) for about two weeks, but I only now had the time to really clean it so we could use it. Here's a before photo, taken during our first visit to this house in May:

Unfortunately, I never took a photo of the ugly light fixture. It was one of those $14.95 deals with a woodgrain-like bar and five round bulbs lined up in a row (looked like this, but woodgrain and not brass). Some of the bulbs were purple (I'm not joking!), and they were something like 25 watts each, which meant that the lighting in the bathroom was woefully inadequate. The mirror was too small for the vanity: the vanity is 5 feet long, and the mirror was 3 feet square. Since there are double sinks in this bathroom, that meant that if two people were using the bathroom, neither of them could see their entire reflection while standing at the sinks. The towel bars, which you can see here, were wooden and completely warped. (Whoever thought that wooden towels bars were a good choice in a wet environment like a bathroom was an idiot.) The walls were light brown, which you cannot see at all in the above photo.

Here's what the bathroom looks like now:

We painted the bathroom a very pale sage green, bought and installed new towel bars and a new toilet paper holder, installed new lighting above the vanity, and bought a new mirror. I used the shower curtain, towels, rugs, and other accessories from our old house. Clearly, the vanity is still dated, as is the flooring (which we might replace to get us by until we can do a "real" remodel in a few years) and the hideous brown tub:

But at any rate, the place is clean and not a complete eyesore anymore. It took five (FIVE) rounds of Tilex to get rid of the soap scum in that bathtub -- I have not let ST bathe in it until tonight. At least I don't feel embarrassed to let people use this bathroom anymore (that shower curtain does a great job of hiding the ugly tub), and now I can move on to other projects. The master bathroom is getting a coat of paint this weekend, as a matter of fact. We can't afford (and don't have time to do) a major renovation on either of our bathrooms (which is what they need), but at least we can update them a bit to get us partway to where we're going.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/01/2006 08:00:00 PM  
8 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    Oh, well done! It looks wonderful! We still have yucky wooden fixtures in our master bathroom and I can't imagine what the attraction of them is (of course we also had *carpeted* bathrooms when we moved in, too, but those were ripped out immediately!).

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger betty said…

    i love it. that green is a nice color - i have it in my bedroom. i'll have to hire you to consult when i get my new apartment....

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Once again, your good taste prevails. Very nice! I don't understand wooden anything in bathrooms, and carpet confuses me, too - although my master bathroom is carpeted and I have a feeling I'll appreciate that in the winter. Still, strange.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    I love the updated look. Very nice color indeed!

    Wood in the bathroom? What in the world?

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Great job! I love the new light fixture! We should get you a show on HGTV.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    5 rounds of Tilex! Oh, gracious! At least you KNOW it's clean nonw. :) That's a lot of elbow grease. I'm impressed. Please come over and redo my extra tiny master bath so I can stand to be in it. It's clean, just obscenely small and dark. :( You're my decorating hero.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said…

    Very tasteful!

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Sorry it took me so long to comment (you know I was in vacation :)

    it looks MUCH better!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER