Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Spoiled
I never thought I'd get excited about an office chair, but I am!

I had money leftover from my office start-up funds (most of which were used for my computer and laser printer) and I couldn't decide how to spend it. I bought a few miscellaneous office accessories from SMU's approved vendors, but I had a healthy chunk of change left and I needed to spend it before next week. I mentioned that I might want a new chair and Amy (Administrative Assistant Sent Straight From Heaven to Make Life Easier for Everyone She Encounters) called someone who called someone who called me to come and try out a few chairs in our facilities management department.

"Watch out," Amy said. "Those chairs are expensive. They'll try to make you spend all of your money on a chair."

I scoffed. "Yeah, but I have like $300 leftover. My chair won't be that much." I was imagining the rows of chairs I'd seen at OfficeMax and Staples, and I couldn't remember one over $300.

Amy smiled knowingly. "Just wait. I bet $300 won't even cover it." We have to use a vendor approved by SMU, she explained, and so we can't just get any chair. We have to get ergonomically-appropriate chairs, and those aren't cheap.

I went to the facilities department and tried out chairs that actually fit my body -- chairs that supported my lower back, that tilted forward just the right amount to match how I worked at my desk, chairs that reclined enough for a comfortable chat with students or a mug of hot chocolate in a quiet moment. I had no idea what a difference a good chair can make!

I also had no idea how expensive a good chair was. I ended up choosing this chair (in "Shadow"), and it should arrive next week. The facilities department will deliver it to my office and show me how to use it (I never needed instructions for a chair before!). I can't wait. But get this: the list price was $749! Holy cow! After all of SMU's discounts, the chair came to right around $300 -- the department picked up the slight overage I had. Amazing.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/07/2006 04:55:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said…

    I had a job where we all had these chairs, and it was great! It was difficult to leave that chair behind...

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    I'm with you on this one! I found a Humanscale chair at a house sale (!) for $25!!! It retails for $700+. I thought I was seeing things. Come to think of it, I wonder if it was hot or at least slightly 'warm' since the guy selling it was an office furniture sales rep.! Still, I know the delights of a correctly proportioned chair. ENJOY!

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger betty said…

    that sounds so awesome! yay for you, prof me! i always wanted one of those kneeling chairs...but they are pricey enough to prevent me from buying one. *sigh*

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Good for you!! This chair sounds awesome -- lucky you!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Wow! What a chair! Sounds comfy!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER