Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
First Day
Today was a big day for all of us.

It was the first day since mid-July that we had to wake up with an alarm at some god-awful hour of the morning (I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination) and be out of the door by a certain time.

It was the first day since early August that T had to wear a suit all day long.

It was the first day since July 13 that ST was not with his parents for the majority of the day.

It was the first day since my defense in late June that I had a meeting of some importance with other scholars in my discipline. (I actually had to stop and try to remember what my hypotheses were in the dissertation!)

It was the first time both of our cars sat in parking lots for most of the day, instead of lounging around in our garage.

It was the first day any of us spent more than 4 hours away from the Pond House and its many demanding projects (excluding T's wilderness trip, that is).

It was the first day in weeks that T and I were not coated in dirt, sawdust, paint, or pond muck.

It was the first day we all realized that we've truly started over here, and the real opportunities and frustrations that go with that fresh start.

It was the first day since July that T and I exchanged stories about "work" over dinner.

It was the first day that ST was a "big preschool kid" and not a "little daycare kid."

All in all, it was a decent first day. ST loved preschool after a rocky and sob-filled start this morning, and said that it was "lots and lots of great fun!" He drew pictures, made a flag, played outside, ate more corn than any other kid in the room (!), and his teacher said that he was the most articulate and polite child she'd seen in a long time (indeed!). I had fun on campus today, although it was a day mostly filled with meetings and last minute course preparations, and I even managed to sneak in some exercise. T had a so-so first day at his new job, mostly due to the fact that he had such a fantastic previous job that anything will dull by comparison, and also due to the fact that his new employers didn't do much of orienting him to his new office and support staff. I pray that he's eventually happy in his job, that I'm happy in mine, and that ST continues to bounce off the walls with the excitement of preschool.

Now, off to bed so I'm ready for the second day.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 9/05/2006 10:23:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    I don't really have any words of wisdom for you, but congratulations on your first day of your new life in your new city. How fun! (I hope T ends up liking his job.)

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    All good. I'm cheered by the prospects of novelty and starting fresh. I'm glad to see you and your family blooming. Here's to T catching his stride.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER