Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
The Library Situation
I am working one of my syllabi today, and have been frantically searching for copies of a few articles or book chapters I read in graduate school to exerpt for use in my undergraduate Introduction to Subfield course. My home office is pretty well-organized at this point, but there are some articles I think I recycled before I moved and so the hunt is on for clean copies to put on e-reserve. This has necessitated a trip to Smallish Midwestern University's library, as well as familiarization with the library's website and electronic resources.

One of my greatest fears about going to a smaller university was that the library would be inadequate. I was truly spoiled at Doctoral University's library, which subscribed to nearly any journal I ever imagined using and which never failed to produce any book I requested, even if it was in a different language or from an obscure European press. During my last year of graduate school, while I was writing my dissertation (it's crazy to me that I only finished in late June -- it feels like it was years ago), I rarely went to the library because Doctoral University's online resources and library staff were so excellent at getting me whatever I needed right over the internet. I was concerned that when I came here, I'd be stuck waiting for weeks to get anything out of the library, and I was already plotting how I'd get friends employed at R1 schools to send me PDFs of journal articles if my little library didn't have a subscription.

No need, though. My library experience thus far has been quite wonderful. SMU's library doesn't have a great selection of books in my field, but they have a huge network of other university libraries in this state they draw from. I requested a book this morning, and just got an email that it will be ready to check out in SMU's library tomorrow. Tomorrow! Plus, I discovered that SMU's library is directly connected to Midwestern State's R1's library, and so any journal that the R1 subscribes to electronically, I can get, too. And that includes the law library, which is a resource I use a lot in my research. I am overjoyed at this discovery. I don't feel so far away from R1 life, so separated from the excellent resources to which I've grown accustomed.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/16/2006 06:45:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Peri said…

    So cool! I love articles available online...it makes life so much easier and you can't beat that. Glad to hear the library is promising.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    That's a great situation to find yourself in. Online resources are the best.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Aliki2006 said…

    Lucky! I'm a huge fan of online resources...my doctoral university had a huge medical school library, which I used for my research as well. My school now has a terrible library, and terrible resources, so I drive a lot to Big State School and pay $65 a year to use *their* library!

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    You know... the funny thing is that in my specific area, my doctoral university (which is a state school) is much better than the ivy-league my husband works as a post-doc at. Since we travel infrequently to doctoral university, I'm frustrated everytime I find a new book I need because almost always, Ivy-league school won't have it. FRUSTRATING!

    anyway... for some weird reason my browser wasn't loading your new posts, so I only got to see these (8/16,19, 20) today even though I've been checking daily since Tuesday last week. Gotta hit refresh once in a while!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER