Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, August 03, 2006
Everything Old is New Again
Just last week at this time, I was scrubbing the floor in my master bedroom at my old house, preparing it for the official handover to the neighbors the following day. Now, I'm officially the co-owner of Pond House, after a hassle-free closing yesterday morning. So much happens in just a week!

It's difficult to believe that tomorrow is already Friday, and that my parents have been here at Pond House with us for almost an entire week. They are leaving tomorrow after lunch after a lot of hard work and, hopefully, a lot of good memories of helping us settle in to our new (old) house in Midwestern State. My parents truly love this house and the land it's on; my Mom said that she fully expects to be back here in just a few months, because she will long to see this property in every season. My Dad wholeheartedly agreed.

It's been a tiring week, but very good. Here's a list of what we've accomplished, in addition to basic unpacking, setting up of beds, etc.:
  • Painted kitchen, dining room, hallways, and sunroom
  • Replaced chandelier in dining room
  • Replaced all wooden wallplates on the main floor
  • Washed all kitchen cabinets, inside and out
  • Unpacked and organized kitchen
  • Installed new cabinet hardware in kitchen
  • Installed new range and refrigerator
  • Repainted canoe owners left for us
  • Reinforced the old desk I couldn't bear to part with
  • Re-poured concrete steps in front so they're level
  • Trimmed all trees on the property (a huge task)
  • Pulled tons of weeds from the pond (ongoing)
  • Cleaned gutters and installed gutter guards
  • Raked entire yard after a storm littered it with debris
  • Remove small dock from the pond, reinforce larger dock
The house is really shaping up nicely, and I'm eager to continue working on it in the years to come. The main level of the house looks decent right now, aside from the fact that my office is still stacked (quite literally) to the ceiling with boxes of books and the fact that the half bathroom off the kitchen has ugly 1980s wallpaper. Change is slow around here, but each little detail makes such a big difference. Just changing out the wallplates around the light switches, for example, updated the house to an amazing degree. I'll take more pictures once everything is in place in the dining room, but here's an example of the progress we've made so far:

The living room/sunroom area, before (note ugly wooden wallplates!):


The living room/sunroom area after:

We painted the walls in the entire 27' x 15' room in Sherwin-Williams paints "Sand Dollar" and "Sands of Time." The windows in the sunroom area face toward the pond, and so eventually we'll buy a nice couch or pair of chairs to put in that area (now we just have an old green recliner and an antique table there). I'm excited to find more red accents for the main living space, and I'm especially excited to get the television out of that room. We plan to finish off the basement in the next few years and then the TV will move there; I really dislike having a television in the main living space of the house. There's still a lot of work to do in this room, but I feel like we've made a good dent in it.

After Mom and Dad leave tomorrow, we'll set to the task of unpacking the bedrooms, which we've largely ignored, and painting the master bedroom. It is currently a very pale aqua, which does not coordinate at all with my brick red bedding and dark cherry-stained furniture! ST's room is probably the least organized, and that's been OK because he's been outside practically since we moved in last week. The Ugliest Bathroom in History remains quite ugly and probably will for some time, but hanging a shower curtain and adding some personal touches has made it liveable. I think I'll paint that next week, too.

ST seems to be handling things well, and is especially happy now that he's met the neighbor kids. There's a five-year old boy, Erik, and his three-year old sister, Annie, who live next door, and they all played together fabulously this afternoon. I think Erik and ST will be good friends. It was great to see ST with kids again -- our former neighborhood was always filled with the sound of kids on bikes, kids screaming at each other, kids laughing, and so it was good to hear the shrieks of children at play again. It made the place feel like home.

The only other thing that would make it feel like home is a washer and dryer, which we still haven't purchased. I've been to the laundromat twice now; not a fun experience, although the laundromat I visited with Mom was very clean and the machines were fast and efficient. I long for my own equipment, however, so that Pond House will finally smell of laundry detergent: our smell. We hope to buy a washer and dryer next week.

Now, off to bed. More adventures at Pond House await us tomorrow.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 8/03/2006 10:39:00 PM  
9 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Repressed Librarian said…

    Wow, that's a lot of hard work in a week! And it's beautiful.

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger betty said…

    You're amazing, Prof Me! I love the new room and, guess what? I have almost the exact same rug as you do in your living room! I love it. And I bet even though it's a lot of work you are having a lot of fun. I can't wait to see more pictures!

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Flavia said…

    Wow! That's beautiful. And I can't believe how much work you've gotten done! Congrats.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    I'm so impressed with the progress you've made. Gorgeous living room!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    I cannot believe how much you've done in a week!! And I still have pictures propped up against the walls after 3 weeks! My motivation left with my niece so I'm living in solitary clutter now.

    Absolutely gorgeous house! I adore your taste in furniture; prairie has always been one of my favorite styles. We should SO be neighbors!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    I'm flabbergasted by the amount of work you've done in such a short time. And I have to say, at first I didn't understand what was so bad about wooden wallplates, but after I saw the "before" pictures, I knew why they had to go immediately. Congrats on a beautiful house!

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Sarah K. said…

    Wow! Just reading your post made me feel pooped! But I'm sure it's really energizing to make the house feel like home.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Oh, I only saw that today!! Great pictures! Those wooden plates did look awful! I can't wait to see the other photos... and the rest of the transformation. Thank you!

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    I swear bloglines isn't updating properly since I had no idea you had a new post up (and since Thursday!). I can't believe how much stuff y'all have accomplished in a week. I'm hiring you all as my next work crew. I know you still have much to do but I hope you can enjoy what you've already done. Wow! It looks just wonderful. Wish I could dash over and bring you a drink to celebrate!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER