Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, July 09, 2006
Slathered
My Dad once described his life as being "slathered" with blessings. When he said that, I laughed out loud because it's just such a funny use of the word "slathered." You slather butter on bread or mortar on bricks, but slathering blessings on someone struck me as terribly funny. But then again, the word conveys a ridiculous quantity, an overwhelming quantity of whatever is being slathered. And so I suppose if one is being slathered with blessings, that's a very good thing.

This weekend, I was slathered with friendship.

It began on Friday, when we decided to have an impromptu party on our cul-de-sac. I was a little worried that no one would be able to come, since everyone literally had about half an hour's notice. But I should have known better: I live in the greatest neighborhood EVER. Nearly everyone came out, hauled their grills out onto their driveways and brought coolers full of beer, sodas, and juice boxes for the kids. I made a cake, there were bags and bags of chips, and everyone had something to grill: bratwursts, hamburgers, bacon-wrapped turkey breasts. Between my house and my neighbor's house there is a large, shady area of lawn, and we set up a dozen lawn chairs there plus a few blankets for the babies. It was incredibly fun, for the adults and the children. We counted fifteen children, ranging in ages from 5 months to 11 years. Most of the kids, ST included, were running like maniacs around the cul-de-sac, playing tag and riding bikes, screaming back and forth to each other. (We had blocked the cul-de-sac off with one of our cars so the kids could play safely in the street.) All of my good friends were there, including Ben and Corinne, who used to live on our cul-de-sac before they moved a block away. We were all up and laughing until around 11:30pm, when the kids literally started collapsing from fatigue around us.

T and I spent most of Saturday packing up the house, disassembling furniture like bed frames and emptying drawers. That night, the seven members of our monthly supper club came over for our final meeting, and the theme was "Grill It!" Everyone, including the couple in charge of the salad and the couple in charge of dessert, had to use only the grill to prepare their food. We made potato and Polska Kielbasa kabobs as the main course, and everyone again sat outside on the lawn to chat and reminisce about the three years we've been meeting as a supper club. It was a lovely ending to our participation in a group that has provided us with so much good food and good conversation.

Tonight, Sunday night, T and I were invited to Prof. G.'s house for supper, along with Prof. C. and his wife. It was such a lovely time, and I'm very proud of myself for not tearing up even once at the thought of not seeing Profs. G. and C. on a regular basis anymore. We had a delightful meal and even more delightful conversation. The best part about it, though, was that there were three distinct generations present at the table, and we were all having so much fun learning each other's perspectives on various things. The evening ended with a lovely photograph of me with my dissertation advisors, and me giving them each a card. I had to do something for them, and so I put into words just how much they have meant to me and how much I appreciate how they've expertly guided me through graduate school. "In these cards I've written all the things I want to tell you but will cry if I tell you in person," I said. And it's true.

Now I'm in my messy house again, feeling very blessed indeed. Slathered, even.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/09/2006 11:00:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Sounds simply wonderful!

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    oooo! What a great weekend!

    And I'm dying to know -- what were the grilled salads and desserts??

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,
    I Found Absolutely FREE PlayBoy & Penthouse:
    http://www.playmates-girls.com
    http://www.oxpe.net
    If I find something else I'll inform you.
    Best Regards, Yuriy

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said…

    Sounds like a wonderful time!!!!!

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Oh, what a wonderful impromptu party you had!! I love these last minute arrangements, they're usually lots of fun.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER