Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Phase One: Done
The first part of our move to New Town is complete.

We loaded our 24ft. U-Haul Friday night, and then awoke at 5:00am on Saturday to make the five hour trip to New Town. The drive was uneventful and even fun, since there was no traffic and the scenery between where we live and New Town is really quite lovely: lots of rolling hills, some dramatic cliffs, and lots of little rivers and lakes. We arrived in New Town at around 11:00am, and soon after my Former Boss and my brother Rob arrived to help us unload. The unloading was surprisingly easy: Pond House has so many sets of doors leading outside that we didn't have to contort ourselves to get items in the house. If the rest of the move (the end of the month) goes as smoothly as this move did, we'll be very happy.

Pond House is lovely, although now that we're able to take a really good look at it we can see that there's lots of maintenance and cleaning to be done. There are cobwebs everywhere, the house is in bad need of a powerwashing, the screens and windows all need to be scrubbed. We had forgotten just how ugly the bathrooms in the house are, and how badly we need to replace light fixtures throughout the house. In short, we have A LOT of work to do when we are in the house for good (July 28), and I'm thankful that my parents have agreed to spend a week there with us when we move in.

Despite the work that must be done, however, we're still so glad that we are buying this house. My favorite room of the house, the dining room, is still as lovely as ever, and my dining room table looks fantastic in it. And the living room, massive as it is (it's 27' x 20') accomodates my sparse furnishings rather well. Almost all of our furniture is Mission style, which means it's big, heavy, dark cherry colored, and has clean lines. Pond House's contemporary styling seems to complement our furnishings in a way I did not anticipate. Now I cannot wait to get in there and paint, change the light fixtures, pull out some of the extraneous cabinetry in the kitchen, and get my new appliances delivered. The main floor of the house will come together quickly, I think, once we really move in.

The upper floor will take some more time. It is truly... well... ugly. The rooms are all wonderfully-sized, but there's the mauve carpet and the hideous ceiling fans to contend with. But slowly, slowly the bedrooms will be transformed, the Ugliest Bathroom in History will be polished to a gem, and we'll be proud of the work we've done. I think it will be difficult for me to be patient as we get this work done; I'm used to living in a house that has nearly everything just the way I want it, and I'm moving into a house where only about 20% of the place is the way I want it. But, T and I can both see the potential, and we just need to work diligently to help the house reach that potential.

Now, T is at the first of his interviews, with three more very intense interviews all day tomorrow. ST is watching the Mets-Cubs game on TV (baseball is one of the few programs he will sit down and watch without a peep). We will return to Doctoral University City tomorrow night, and then pack up the remainder of our house there in preparation for Phase Two of the move in late July. With any luck, things will continue to fall into place.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/16/2006 06:43:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Wow, I'm SOOO impressed! I'm glad everything went really smoothly and I'm praying that your husband gets a job soon.

    Now, a request, do you think you could let us take a look at the "Ugliest Bathroom in History" and maybe let us see "before" and "after" shots? That'd be so exciting!!

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Yeah!! Ditto what lillian said (down to the photo op)!

     
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    Yeah for a smooth move! I can sympathize about future maintenance issues (although I do not have a companion Ugliest Bathroom in History, thank goodness). I keep noticing stuff to fix and wondering if I was just blind the other times I saw the house: cracked light fixture, torn vinyl flooring, broken blinds. Guess I was concentrating on the big stuff instead!

    So, so glad things have gone well with Phase One. Carry on!

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    This is so exciting for you. I'm glad it is all going well. Good luck to T in finding an appropriate post. And enjoy the transformations to your new home.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER