Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, July 14, 2006
Pack It Up
Our house is a complete and total disaster area. For a neat freak like me, this is a tough pill to swallow: boxes everywhere, disassembled bedframes lining the walls, furniture swaddled in blankets to protect surfaces, half-packed boxes of things I don't use but cannot bear to part with (e.g., what do you do with mostly-unused but ancient notebooks? I save them, and then forget about them and buy new ones), trash bags full of things to donate or things to take to the dump... it's really all too much. I don't function well in disorder.

By the end of the day, however, this house should be mostly empty. The U-Haul truck is arriving at around 3:30pm, and then we'll start the long process of loading our life into the back of a dusty truck. We will leave early tomorrow morning for Midwestern State, and hope to be in New Town by 3:00pm Saturday. My brother will meet us at Pond House, along with my former boss*, and we'll unload late Saturday afternoon. Then we have a few days to spend in New Town while T interviews: he has four interviews scheduled! Keep your fingers crossed for him.

I might blog again tonight, and there is a slight chance I'll blog from New Town this weekend. If not, you'll hear from me again on Tuesday. Wish us luck!

* I worked at a Barnes and Noble all through undergrad in Home State. I knew my boss there was from Midwestern State; he was one of my very good friends. As it turns out, he now lives just 30 minutes from New Town, so we'll see him often. That's excellent for us, and especially for T, since my former boss is also a runner and knows all the trails in the area.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/14/2006 09:15:00 AM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Peri said…

    I've been thinking about you all day and hoping for a safe and uneventful move. Can't wait to hear you are in pond house and happily ensconced. Even better will be to hear that T has a new endeavor as well.

    I'm sending hugs since I know departure will be bittersweet.

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I hope it all went well... moving and being in a messy place is hard even for those of us who are slobs like me :)

    Well, have a great week in your new home!

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    I hope your travels and subsequent unloading in New Town at Pond House was successful. Looking forward to hearing more from you later in the week.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger betty said…

    oh, good luck! so sorry i've been out of the loop. can't wait to hear from you in your new home!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said…

    I hope all goes well. Have a safe trip!!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER