Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, July 30, 2006
Observations
A few thoughts on moving to a new house and new city, written quickly because my computer is currently smack-dab in the middle of the kitchen where there is no privacy (office is still chock-full of unpacked boxes of books; I can barely walk in there):

This house is huge. I was considering posting on Active Academic about how much grueling exercise you get packing up a house and then unpacking it (my muscles are still aching from pulling a king-sized mattress around yesterday), but honestly I think I'm getting my best workout just walking around this house putting stuff away. My former house was about 1800 square feet (excluding the basement); this one is about 2300 (excluding the basement). That extra room makes for longer commutes between kitchen and living room, bedrooms and bathrooms. Add that to the fact that there are a lot more stairs here, and you have one tired professor on your hands.

The yard is amazing. I just ate breakfast in front of the windows looking over the pond, and I saw two fish leap out and then a small water bird (couldn't tell what it was from where I was sitting) swoop down to snatch a fish. The yard is noisy with the sound of songbirds, chipmunks, woodpeckers, and squirrels. I also discovered that we have two apple trees, a sour cherry tree, a pear tree, and a crabtree. Our addition has been ST's famous tomato plant, which made the trip in the front seat of the U-Haul with T on Friday afternoon and is only slightly worse for the wear.

Our cat, Belle, is in heaven here. All of the windows are huge and extend to the floor, and so she's been hanging out on the windowsills admiring the vegetation and stalking the small animals and birds outside. She's found several new hiding places, too, and seems very pleased with her new litter box location (always a plus).

The nearest grocery store to us is really great, something I wasn't expecting. It's fairly large and has a great selection of organic products, and you can even buy bulk products like flax seed, trail mix, and granola. I used to have to go to our cooperative grocery for stuff like that, but no more. In addition, this grocery store has an in-store play area for kids, and so you can leave children there while you shop. There are little TVs all around the store that allow parents to see their kids in the play area. That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving ST there on his own. (I'm not sure if the area is supervised, or if the kids are "tagged" so that they can only go home with their parents and not some freaks off the street.)

My furniture, which I completely love and which T and I picked out over the past five years, can make any room look good. Even when the rooms of Pond House were nothing but bare walls, gross carpet, and hideous light fixtures, my furniture makes the rooms look liveable.

I will post pictures of our progress soon (I promise, Lilian!). The dining room is almost complete, as soon as I figure out how to arrange my cookbooks on the wall, and the kitchen will look awesome as soon as our appliances arrive on Tuesday. I may not post until then -- but rest assured, we're BUSY!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/30/2006 06:46:00 AM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger betty said…

    Ooohh! I'm so jealous! I can't wait to see pictures. I'm glad you are happy there - the backyard sounds awesome!

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Oh, first, thank you for the reassurance about the pictures, I truly appreciate it!! :)

    I'm delighted to hear that you are enjoying the new house, getting more exercice and feeling quite at home thanks to your furniture -- feeling at home is one of the most important things once you move to a new house, isn't it?

    The grocery store sounds great too! Oh, your descriptions of the backyard made me want to see photos of it too, but I don't want to be too overbearing with my requests :)...

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Everything sounds perfect! (Except for the carpet, of course. ;) ) I can't wait for the pictures!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER