Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, July 08, 2006
Not My House
Every family has a certain smell, and that smell permeates everything the family owns. My grandma's apartment always smells like boiling potatoes. Corinne and Ben's house smells like a lovely mixture of dill and vanilla. My parents' house smells like summer wind, even in the winter. Our house usually smells like clean laundry, even when the place is a mess.

Today, our house doesn't smell like us.

Today marked the beginning of a large transformation: the neighbors who are buying our house started moving things into our now-empty basement, filling the storage area and the playroom with neatly packed and labelled boxes, plastic crates of toys and shoes, and clear bins of Christmas decorations. All of our things that used to be in the basement are now piled into our family room. None of our things are gone from this house yet -- that doesn't happen until this coming Saturday, which is Phase I of our move to Pond House -- but our scent seems to have vanished altogether. I ran a few errands this afternoon and when I returned I noticed that the place did not smell like laundry detergent, but cinnamon. That is not our smell. That is their smell.

At first, it took me by surprise. I started to feel sad about it, but as I looked around I realized that as soon as I packed up the linen closet, boxed up some of my cake pans, and filled the holes in the walls where my crown moulding ledges once hung, the house became a little less mine. The special things about this place that made it uniquely ours are packed in a box or shoved unattractively against a wall, awaiting placement in a moving truck. But in the basement, wrapped securely in bubble wrap and tucked in stacked boxes, a new identity for this house waits, and the smell of cinnamon is announcing its arrival.

I hope that, by this time next week, Pond House is starting to smell like clean laundry.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/08/2006 11:27:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I love this post, though I truly don't know what exactly characterizes our own house's smell :) I hope that next week you can feel right at home as the smell of clean laundry fills your new home!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER