Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, July 18, 2006
New Identity
Yesterday, while T was interviewing in Quaint Town a few miles north of New Town, ST and I stopped by Smallish Midwestern University and my future department. None of the other faculty members were there; the place was inhabited only by administrative assistants.

Amy, the cheerful assistant for my new department, was happy to see me. "Oh, I was hoping you'd stop in today!" she said, recalling that we were moving in to our new house that weekend. We had a nice chat and I introduced her to ST.

She showed me my office and asked me if I wanted different bookcases, where the new computer and laser printer should be set up, if I wanted blinds back on the windows. Suddenly, a few faces popped in the door. "These are the admins from the departments down the hall," Amy said to me with a smile. To them, she said, "This is our new faculty member, Professor Me."

Professor. I have wanted to be called "Professor" since I was in 11th grade. Sometimes, as a teaching assistant, some of my students would call me Professor but it didn't have the same effect because I knew I wasn't actually a professor. Some of my non-academic friends have called me "Professor" for years because they knew that was my goal, but even then it didn't feel as good as it felt yesterday, when I'd actually earned it.

Later in my visit, I told Amy that I was behind in getting copies made for e-reserves at the library. "Oh, just give the stuff to me," she said with a smile. "I'll do it." I apologized and said that I didn't mean to give her more work. She laughed and said, "You have a Ph.D. so you don't have to make copies. Just let me know what you need done, and I'll do it." How refreshing, and how strange for me! This is the beginning of something entirely new.

Note: I hear your requests from the previous post for pictures of the Ugliest Bathroom in History, and I will post them at some point. I think I'm going to start with pictures of the kitchen/dining/living areas, though, to show you transformation. We're not going to tackle the Ugliest Bathroom in History for a few months because it will be the most expensive to do. Don't worry -- the transformations will be well-documented here, so much so that you'll be sick of them!

Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/18/2006 12:54:00 PM  
7 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said…

    Good for you -- Amy sounds like a jewell... any chance of cloning her?

    I once made a similar trip, but when I introduced myself to the admin assistat she looked at me like I should go away and said "So?".... that's it.

    I found my own office, made my own copies and tried not to bother her -- I also ran when a better job came around.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Oh, how fun! Hail to the conquering professor. :) So glad you've met pleasant people (and that you have a window - very jealous) so soon at SMU.

     
  • At 10:36 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Oh, thanks for including me in your blogroll, I feel very honored :)

    You new department's administrative assistant sounds like a dream. Our dept's was grouchy sometimes, but I had a great relationship with her which got even better after I had my first son, since she loves babies - and I'd bring him to my T.A. office hours. Every time I go back there I take the boys for her to see (I did so last May walking through a veritable deluge - it was raining that much - but I really wanted her to see them).

    Yay, pictures pictures, I can never tire of them, though, I assure you! :)

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    What--you mean somebody might make copies for me?? Sweet!

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said…

    That is so awesome. Cheers to you!

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Dr. Shellie said…

    Congratulations! It's good to see a dream come true. Enjoy the new respect.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    How wonderful. Vicariously enjoying your successes. Keep the good news coming. It's something to believe in

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER