Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Sunday, July 23, 2006
eBay: Here I Come
After a birthday party for one of ST's friends (a party where ST slipped on the carpet, fell face-down and got a bloody nose and swollen lip, cried for 10 seconds, and was back in the action), T and I decided to take a trip to Home Depot to look at cabinet knobs and pulls, ceiling fans, and light fixtures. We know we will be buying these types of items very soon: we move to Pond House for good this coming Friday, and my parents will meet us there to help us with the work for an entire week.

As I've said before, Pond House is stuck in a 1980s time warp. I sometimes affectionately refer to it as the Who's the Boss house, because to me, that show was quintessentially 80s. The light fixtures are made of brass and tinted brown glass, these hanging monstrosities that should never have existed in the first place. The cabinet hardware is white porcelain with little rosettes painted on it -- definitely not my style. But the most in-your-face noticeable 80s holdout in the place are the wooden switchplates that adorn every outlet (even those behind the stove and refrigerator). I'm sure that, at one point, they were the height of chic decor. To my eyes, however, they are... well, let's just say that they have to go.

Imagine my shock when, as we looked at new switchplates at Home Depot last night, we overheard someone talking about outfitting their house with wooden plate covers, covers of the very type found on every wall in Pond House. Home Depot carries these covers, as does Lowe's (they look exactly like this, but with a slightly lighter stain): they're almost $8.00 EACH! I think I'm sitting on a little gold mine. I'm going to remove all 50+ of these switchplate covers and list them on eBay. I might even list the ugly chandeliers, too! You know the saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure; perhaps one man's 1985 is another man's 2006?
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/23/2006 08:24:00 AM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Kids are so resilient!

    Go for it! eBay is a virtual treasure trove of items for any and everybody. I am totatlly amazed by the items that people sell on their. It won't hurt to list them and the chadeliers! Good luck!

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    I hope you can sell them! Ebay is the way to go!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER