Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, July 05, 2006
Breathing Normally
A few months ago I posted about the tension I was feeling, that knot in my stomach that wouldn't go away, the throbbing in my mind that grew stronger and louder as I contemplated all that I needed to accomplish before we moved to Midwestern State. When I'm really, really stressed, I stop breathing normally -- it's like my lungs won't fully inflate, and my breathing is shallow and uneven.

For the past week, I've never felt better. I'm breathing like a real, live person again, and it feels heavenly. I'm sleeping! I'm eating well! I'm taking walks without feeling like I should be doing something "productive!" I'm playing with ST and really concentrating on him, listening to his stories and funny phrases (newest phrase: instead of "chill out," ST says "chill yourself down!"). I went to Mass on Sunday and didn't pray about anything academic. I attended a music festival this weekend with my family and didn't once think about my dissertation. When I sit down at my desk these days, I don't have the sense of dread that I will have to stay planted here until another page is churned out. I am thinking about things I want to think about, instead of dwelling on things I have to think about.

Everyone told me that life changes after the dissertation defense is successfully concluded, and they were right. It is a different world.

Today I am especially wishing for the dawning of a new day for Ragey and ABDmom. Give 'em all you've got, ladies, and then? Breathe.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 7/05/2006 05:16:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Good to hear it. Keep breathing, even once the semester begins. ;)

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Yay! I am so excited for you. It's been so much fun for me to follow your journey and get to know you through your blog.

    I'm so excited for you to move to Pond House and I'm looking forward to reading all about your future accomplishments. :)

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Thanks for that thought. I'm definitely breathing easier now. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER