Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, June 16, 2006
Notes on Stuff
A completely non-academic post about stuff, because that's what I'm thinking about this hot and humid afternoon.

Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same: my sister sent me this book yesterday because she said I sounded stressed on the phone and needed something light to read. She was right! I laughed out loud at the photographs of these stupid plastic chickens, and then laughed some more at the thought of the grown, educated woman who spends her life posing these chickens and photographing them. If you see this in a bookstore, pick it up and flip through it. It'll be sure to bring a smile to your face. Alternatively, you can pop over to my house and page through it in my now-devoid-of-charm living room (all the cool stuff is packed).

Kenmore Oasis Washer and Dryer: I have been doing a little laundry-room shopping for Pond House, trying to figure out what features I want and need in new appliances. I stopped at Sears last week and am now completely in love with this set, although they are expensive. I really wanted a front-loader for the water and energy savings, but I like the convenience of a top loader -- this pair satisfies both of those desires. But are they really worth $2000? Maybe I'll just end up going with a cheaper front-loader, like this.

My possessed refrigerator: whenever prospective buyers asked us what we didn't like about our current house, the only thing I could come up with was the refrigerator. I HATE this refrigerator and will never buy a side-by-side again. Total waste of money for a truckload of reasons, and a new reason was added at 4:30am today: T and I woke up to the sound of running water, and went into the kitchen to discover that our water dispenser was spurting water at the kitchen island of its own accord, and we had gallons on the floor. We finally got the water to the refrigerator turned off and also turned off the icemaker/water dispenser feature. But guess what? Despite the fact that I've removed the entire icemaking unit and it's turned off, the refrigerator is still pretending it is making ice! So, I'm dealing with a loud whirrrrrrring sound emanating from my kitchen. I called for an appointment with our appliance dealer, and they can't squeeze me in until Monday afternoon. Grr.

Aussie Three-Minute Miracle: I love this stuff. I am in desparate need of a haircut, but whenever I use this conditioner my hair feels soft and healthy again. (I have very thick, somewhat coarse hair cut in long layers.) I was showering this morning and T walked in, sniffed the air, and said, "Something miraculous occurring in there?"

Rainbow Pasta Salad: I love pasta salads on hot days, and so I whipped this one up yesterday afternoon. It's a delightful, easy salad that most everyone likes. My modifications: I buy one packet of Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing and just use that instead of an entire bottle of Italian dressing, I use shredded cheddar instead of mozzarella, I use turkey pepperoni instead of regular pepperoni, and I halve the amount of black olives. Very tasty and light for an oppressively hot day!

Banana Ice Cream: in really hot weather when I forget to turn the air conditioning on, bananas I buy green one day are brown the next. I freeze the brown bananas to make this ice cream, which I did Wednesday night in my favorite superfluous kitchen gadget, the Cuisinart Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, and Sorbet machine. It is perfectly sweet, and wonderful when topped with shaved chocolate. Better yet, it's Alton Brown's recipe, and you know how I feel about him. (Sorry, Mon!)

U-Hauls: mmm, yes, it IS as exciting as it sounds! T and I have decided to make two trips to New Town, mostly to accomodate the buyers of our house and to make full use of my moving allowance from SMU. We're going to take one 24-ft. U-Haul to New Town on July 15, loaded with non-upholstered big furniture and boxes, which we'll probably put in a storage unit there. This will make room in our current house for our neighbor's things -- they want to move some stuff in then, since they close the following week with their buyers (July 21) and don't officially close with us until July 28. We're praying that the realtor/seller of Pond House will let us store things in Pond House garage until our official closing date of August 2, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's all for today. Off to clean the kitchen (again) before ST gets home from his last Friday at daycare. Starting next week, he's only there three days a week -- hurray! I'd actually like to cut him down to two days, but don't want to make too severe a cut in Lauren's (his daycare provider) weekly income. Enough. Anyway, stick around for a thrilling post about ST's big baseball debut!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/16/2006 01:53:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    That pasta salad sounds good. Must give it a try!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Percival said…

    I find your meandering prose and use of the word, "stuff" highly offensive. Vulgar and typically moderne -

    - Percy Bysshe Silly

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    I know I haven't commented lately, but I'm still reading. It's been fun to watch your journey. Best of luck with the move!

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger grumpyABDadjunct said…

    I bought a Kenmore front loader from Sears and it rocks, it cut our electricity bill down by at least 1/4. I wouldn't spend an extra $800 for something fancier, even though an orange w/d would look cool.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER