Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Joy
I promised ST that today he would get a special surprise. I've been building him up for this special surprise for three days, and he had no clue what it was. (His first guess? "The dentist?! Are we really going to the dentist?" He loves the dentist.) This morning, as we finished getting ready, I asked him if he wanted me to tell him what the special surprise was. He nodded enthusiastically and then put his ear near my mouth as I whispered, "We're going to a special movie."

He gave me a very serious look. "Is it... is it that car movie?"

I nodded.

ST put his hands over his mouth and started jumping up and down like I had just told him we could have ice cream for supper. He was spinning around on the carpet, throwing his arms up in the air, and shouting, "The car movie! The car movie!" He has wanted to see this movie for months -- I think it was one of the previews when we saw Curious George in February. The rest of the morning and early afternoon was a countdown to the car movie showtime.

I've said before that the thing I love the most about ST is his capacity for joy. Honestly, he is the happiest person I know, and gets excited about absolutely everything. Life is always good for ST. ST's happiness has always been infectious, and each time I hear his silly laugh I can't stop myself from laughing right along with him. As we sat in the movie theater this afternoon, I waited for that laugh from ST and was not disappointed. He was always the first one to laugh at the animated cars on-screen, sometimes shaking his head back and forth and saying, "Oh, man that's funny!" (The "oh man" is new to his vocabulary. He's wearing it out.)

After the movie (which was adorable and features Owen Wilson's voice, which was a bonus for me) I asked ST if he's like to go have ice cream for a treat. "Can I have black raspberry?" he asked, one eyebrow raised. When I told him he could, the jumping and laughing ensued again. After the ice cream was gone and it was time to return to our car, he was nearly giddy with excitement when he realized that it was pouring rain and we'd have to run outside in the puddles. "We are going to get REALLY wet!" he said, laughing as he dashed down the soaked sidewalk, taking care to stomp in every puddle he saw.

I followed him eagerly, and soon we were both completely drenched. When we reached our car I buckled ST into his car seat and he said, breathless, "Mom, this is such a fun day!" Indeed, it is.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/21/2006 03:37:00 PM  
9 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    How wonderful! I can't imagine however, that ST would get any of that from his parents... I mean... oh that would be silly... I mean that children might model what they observe in their parents? No, that couldn't be. Well, I'm glad he's such a delight... and I hope some of it continues to rub off on you. ;)

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Peri said…

    You surely are raising that boy right! What a wonderful day for you two. I'll be anxious for a review of the film sometime, too. :)

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said…

    Oh, what a lovely post! How wonderful to have that living reminder of joy.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Sounds like you all had a blast!

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    ST and I would totally get along!!! I get SO! Excited!!! about things, too... when I learned that I was going to see the CAR MOVIE on Sunday, I was all spazzed out with happiness, too. I LOVED IT!!! Did you stay until the end of the credits???

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger betty said…

    Wow, I think I'd like to spend some time with ST. What with his ALIENS COME AND GET ME procrastination techniques and his uber-happiness I think we'd have a good time! Because even though I guess I don't blog about it, I can be fun too when I'm with others who like to do it. My one most fun friend just moved across the country and so I have a lot less silly time. But I really liked reading about ST and his awesome day!

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Awww!

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    B*, I can completely picture you hanging out with ST and having a total blast together. But I think with your combined excitement, the world might explode! We did stay for most of the credits, until I mentioned ice cream and ST literally pulled me out of the theater. Such a cute movie!

    Betty, if you're ever in the Midwest (or maybe you live here, too!) pop on over and I'll make you and ST some ice cream sandwiches and you can giggle to your heart's delight (and I'll join right in)! Being silly is one of my favorite pastimes.

    AD, you'd think that with ST living with such a sourpuss as myself he'd be really disagreeable, but that's just not the case. Hmmm. (!)

    Thanks, everyone, for your sweet comments here and earlier. They are much appreciated!

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    You sure know how to make a woman want kids!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER