Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, June 12, 2006
I've Got a Crush on You
Is it OK to have a high-schoolish crush on a committee member? (Wait -- don't answer that!)

I just returned from a meeting with the outside member of my dissertation committee. I try to meet with him every three months or so, just to keep him in the loop about departmental procedures, deadlines, progress, etc. Every time I meet with him, I get this fluttery feeling in my chest, my face gets hot, and I smile bigger and laugh more often (which is hard to do, since I already laugh a lot). I don't get nervous around him, but I definitely get that "oh-he's-so-great-I-hope-I'm-not-a-dork" feeling.

His attributes (to substantiate the crush):

1.) He's a brilliant and world-renowned legal scholar;

2.) He's a native German speaker, so has a slight accent that is heavenly;

3.) He has a silly sense of humor that totally meshes with mine;

4.) He talks about how great his life is, but not in an arrogant way -- more in a "I can't believe I'm so lucky" type of way;

5.) He's handsome in a very European way;

6.) Unlike a lot of European scholars I know, he's engaging and very human, not hesitating to get carried away talking about his beautiful, smart wife or his dogs;

7.) My advisor (Prof. G.) "interviewed" him for me before I asked him to be on my committee, and Prof. G. thinks he's fantastic, too. With a sly grin, Prof. G. described Outside Member as "dashing." How appropriate!

8.) He thinks the work I'm doing is interesting, and admires me for taking on a huge subject most people in my discipline don't touch;

9.) When I enter his office, he jumps up from his chair, holds his arms up, and says, "Ah, [My First Name]! How wonderful to see you again!" Then he does the air-kiss on the cheeks thing;

10.) At my prospectus defense he was the one who did most of the talking (because he's the one who knows the most about one of the processes I write about), and a lot of his sentences began with, "You know, [My First Name] is right about this..."

See, what's not to love?

So, now I'm going to be on Cloud Nine for the rest of the day, or at least until about 6:00pm, when my real Prince Charming comes home. (And T is, mostly, a prince. If only he had an accent...)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/12/2006 10:49:00 AM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger betty said…

    I think it's ok. I had a crush on a faculty member who taught a class I took my first year in grad school. I tried reasonably hard to find a reason to put him on my committee, but could never justify it since he worked on a completely different problem in a completely different organism using completely different method. *sigh*

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    If this guy was on my committee, I would *totally* be crushing on him.

    Alas, professors in your discipline seem to be far more dashing than in mine. I have not encoutered a prof worthy of a crush yet.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I'm with ABDmom--profs in my discipline are definitely not as dashing!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Peri said…

    Enjoy it! Would that anyone in my discipline was even remotely dashing....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER