Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, June 10, 2006
It Doesn't Grow on Trees
The cash is flying out of this place lately, and it's making me nervous. Nervous because my June 1 paycheck was my last from Doctoral University (the end of my 12-month fellowship) and it was less than usual because they had to take out three months' worth of health and dental insurance contributions, and nervous because my first paycheck from Smallish Midwestern University won't arrive until October 1 (we start in September). Nervous because we just paid the exorbitant (ridiculous) fee for T's Very Important Task ($850). Nervous because we just plunked down earnest money for Pond House ($2,000). Nervous because I had to pay my tuition for this summer semester ($650). Nervous because I had to double-pay for daycare this week ($105 for Lauren, who has a "bereavement pay" clause in her contract, and $75 for my back-up carer across the street). That's almost $4,000 that flew out of our account this week.

T, of course, is not worried about any of this. Honestly, I am so glad that I married a man who is so level-headed about money, and who has his finger constantly on the pulse of every account we have. But this is exactly the kind of financial scenario that makes me a little crazy, as I described in a previous post. It scares me to see the numbers on our money market and savings accounts go down by thousands in a single week, and as I think ahead to July, I can feel my chest tighten. (July will be our most difficult month, since we have to pay our full mortgage plus moving expenses on just T's salary -- which is completely adequate, but we're accustomed to having my stipend money, too. August and September won't be too bad since we won't have a mortgage payment at all, and if T finds a job by then it'll be smooth sailing.) T's view on this is that we have no reason to panic: our savings will be more than enough to carry us through a few lean months, and we won't need to draw on that for long, anyway, since he'll have a job. Once T's job situation is clear, I'll feel a million times better about all of this.

Small consolation for this worry wart: we had a garage sale today with our neighbors and sold a couch, an area rug, and a runner for $90. We hoped to sell more (there are so many things we just don't want to move!), but it was pouring rain here all day and so the furniture shoppers were not out in force and furniture is all we really had to sell.

I have to be positive, though. What is happening to me now is what I've always wanted to happen -- I am slowly, slowly, slowly beginning my new life as an academic, as a professor. I've wanted this since I was in high school. I suppose skipping a few months of organic produce (my favorite luxury) will all be worth it in the end.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/10/2006 11:00:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger betty said…

    I understand about the stress of having to spend money (even if you can afford it or if it's a good investment). I have to pay bills right now and I keep putting it off because my budget is so tight I just hate the thought of working on it. But putting if off stress me out even more...ahhh! I hope I meet soemone who likes to take care of the finances because I honestly don't think I could handle it. T sounds great!

    I'm really excited for your move to Pond House and your new job. Congratulations!

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Ugh...In my family, I'm the one with my thumb on all the accounts--it is not a fun job. I make my husband look at them every so often so I'm not worrying by myself. But even then I'm usually worrying by myself--he has a way of not freaking out about things. I wish I had that talent...

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    If only it did grow on trees. I know exactly how you feel, since I'm in the same situation - lots and lots going out, nothing coming in. And every time I open the mailbox, there's something else to pay. Yesterday's "I can't believe I forgot about this one": my loans are out of deferment now that I've graduated and payments start at the end of the month. Great!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER