Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, June 23, 2006
Get Me Out Of Here!
Today was supposed to be a relaxing day. ST and I were supposed to spend the bulk of the day with Corinne and her daughters. I was going to make us all huge taco salads and real chocolate pudding with sweetened whipping cream, and the kids were going to ride their bikes outside while Corinne and I chatted and played with Baby Eva.

Instead, I woke up today at 5:30 am with a splitting headache, the kind that made it difficult for me to walk safely down the stairs to get some Tylenol.

At 7:30am, the phone rang. It was my neighbor. Her son, Jack, had been sick the previous afternoon and now her daycare provider refused to care for him this morning. She wanted to know if it was possible if I could look after Jack, who was no longer running a fever and seemed to be perfectly happy and healthy. I knew she couldn't afford to miss a day of work because she is going on vacation tomorrow, and so I agreed to watch him. He's a sweet boy and he and ST are great playmates.

By 9:00am, it was clear to me that Jack was not OK. He was lethargic and his eyes were sunken in. After I managed a two-minute shower, I sat down on the couch while ST and Jack watched Sesame Street. Jack cuddled up to me and I could feel his little forehead blazing.

During this, ST was being an annoying terror. Shouting, bouncing off walls, bored out of his mind because although one of his favorite playmates was in the house, there was no one to play with. And each time Jack snuggled closer to me, ST grew more jealous and even more annoying. "She is MY mom, Jack," ST lectured, "and you should NOT be here with her!"

At 9:30am I took Jack's temperature (and, at his insistence, ST's as well) -- 101 degrees. Jack looked miserable. I tried to call his mom at work to tell her that he really was sick and ask permission to give him Tylenol, but she didn't answer. I left a message. It's almost 1:00pm now and I still haven't heard back from her. I gave Jack the Tylenol anyway and put him to bed. After much pestering from ST, Jack fell asleep in my bedroom at around 11:00am.

So, while Jack slept I attempted to play with ST. As soon as we started to play, however, my headache from earlier in the morning returned. I had to call Corinne and break off our lunch meeting because 1.) I felt like crap; and 2.) I didn't want her to expose her children to whatever Jack has. This made both of us very sad -- as I've written before, I treasure these lunch dates!

I made ST lunch and tried to get him to take a nap; although he's rubbing his eyes, he will not stay in bed for more than six seconds. He is literally driving me insane. INSANE. He's cranky because he didn't get to sleep until late last night, and he's mad because I can't take him outside while Jack is sleeping in the house. Not only is he insisting on a snack (just half an hour after a lunch of Penne and Tomato-Cream Basil sauce, sliced peaches, a full glass of milk, and a snickerdoodle cookie), but he keeps asking -- over and over and over again -- "Where's Jack? Where is he? Is he sleeping? Should I check on him? Is he awake NOW? What about NOW? Mom, where's Jack? Is Jack still here? Mom? Mom? MOM?!"

I am only posting now to vent my frustrations. ST is right here with me, making a mess out of old copies of my dissertation. I don't even care.

The day is only half over. If this house had a padded room, I would lock myself in it.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/23/2006 12:47:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    This is why mothers deserve pay, with full benefits and vacation days. Hope Jack - poor little guy - and you feel better soon!

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Peri said…

    I meant to post this much sooner so I'm sorry not to have been there for you as kid overload transpired.

    I absolutely understood your feelings. There are surely days when being a stay at home mom sucks the very soul out of me. At least for a while. Thank goodness kids are cute when they sleep-- I fall in love all over again when I see them resting. :)

    Hope your are feeling a bit more rejuvenated.

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Yes, I totally understand! Sometimes I feel I'm going to go crazy when caring for my two boys - their sibling rivalry sometimes comes up in a fierce way. I'm delighted the end of the day turned out fine -- it must have been a relief to you. I hope ST doesn't get Jack's virus or whatever he had.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER