Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, June 23, 2006
First Fruits
Although ST was more than a handful today, after Jack left and he had my full attention again he was back to his normal, sweet self.

The afternoon turned out to be momentous: the first tomato from ST's beloved tomato plant was ripe and ready for picking, and ST did the honors just before dinner. We sliced into it and ST had the first taste, declaring it the best tomato he'd ever eaten. (He adores tomatoes -- eats them like apples. No lycopene deficiency here.) I had a taste and indeed, it was a fine specimen. After being forced to buy rather tasteless and mealy supermarket tomatoes, I was almost shocked by how positively tomatoey this was: fresh, sweet, and earthy.

We had ST's tomato on top of Southwestern Grilled Turkey Burgers (from the current issue of Everyday Food) this evening, along with fresh grapes and lemonade. Quite lovely, if I do say so myself. ST mostly ignored his turkey to savor every last bite of his first homegrown tomato.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/23/2006 07:27:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Peri said…

    Mmmmmm. I'm coming to your house to eat. :) Tell ST his fresh produce is looking mighty tasty!

    Do you make lots of things from Everyday Food? you always seem to find such interesting recipes.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Hi, Peri!

    Yes, I do make a lot of things from Everyday Food. It's by far the best cooking magazine I've come across (and I've read or subscribed to them all over the years), and that's because it's so practical. There are so fancy-schmancy recipes there, just good, fresh food that you can usually make with ingredients you already have in your pantry. I also love that the magazine itself is so small: the digest-size of the magazine makes it easy to collect.

    Otherwise, you know I'm a cookbook fanatic, and so I try a lot of recipes from different books. But I'm comfortable saying that the bulk of my "new" recipes are from Everyday Food.

    Come over any time! You are always most welcome!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Beautiful. I'm so proud of your little harvester.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger skookumchick said…

    Heavens! How are you getting tomatoes already? We're only beginning to get the flowers on the big plants, and green fruit on the cherry tomatoes... I don't think I can wait another month to eat them! ;-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER