Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Clap... And They Will Come
Looking out the window in ST's bedroom, 9:20pm tonight.

ST: Mom! I see a star. I think it's Venus.

Me: Yes, you're right. That is Venus. Good memory.

ST: Aliens live on Venus.

Me: How do you know that?

ST: Emily [girl at daycare] told me. And a rocketship can come and take us there.

Me: Really? How will the rocketship know to come and get us?

ST: You just clap really loud [he claps] and then the rocket will come. And then you can visit the aliens on Venus.

Me: Well, you just clapped, and there's no rocketship coming. I wonder why?

ST: I'll clap again. [He claps incessantly.]

After a whole bunch of clapping and no rocketship, I put ST to bed and go to my office across the hall. I hear him slip out of bed and tiptoe back to his open window. Suddenly, I hear him screaming out the window and into the quiet neighborhood:

ST: Aliens! COME AND GET ME! I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO BED!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/13/2006 10:22:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:27 AM, Blogger betty said…

    Oh. My. Gosh. This is so cute! I will be using this trick tomorrow, at 9:50AM.

    Aliens! COME AND GET ME I DO NOT WANT TO MEET TO DISCUSS FINAL GRADES!

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    :) Very cute. (clapping maddly) Aliens! COME AND GET ME! I DO NOT WANT TO WORK ON MY DISSERTATION!

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    If ST is really really nice, my wife may just make him his own rocket ship to go visit the aliens.

    Or, better yet, the Painter can lend him one of the many rocket ships that we often venture on toward Mars. It's amazing the things little boys know about space travel and alien planets. Amazing! ;)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER