Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, June 05, 2006
The Axe Has Fallen (But I'm Still Standing)
A quick post before I dash across the street to pick up ST from his temporary daycare arrangement (hard to complain when your back-up daycare is right across the street, such that you can hear your child laughing from your office):

First, I finally received comments on my dissertation draft from Profs. C and G. I have been waiting for them all day long, just feeling the dread creep up inside of me, waiting for that axe to fall and crush any hope of defending this summer. Thankfully, the comments weren't as crushing as I'd feared. Are there revisions to be made? Yes. Are they substantial? Some of them are, yes. Did they point out weaknesses that I didn't already know were there? No. Can I accomplish these revisions within a reasonable timeframe? Yes. I am meeting with my advisors tomorrow morning to discuss the revision process and to get more context for their comments. I am dreading this meeting, too, but I know it will be helpful.

Second, T is in New Town right now because the inspection of Pond House was this morning. He called me this afternoon to tell me that 1.) the home inspection went fantastically well, and Pond House is in great shape for its age; and 2.) the seller/realtor had another offer on the property today. The last bit of news made me feel like vomiting, until T told me that the seller/realtor was willing to accept an offer from us if we made it today, despite the fact that the other offer was higher by $5,000. The seller/realtor said that he knew we were really trying to make this work, and that he wanted to honor the result of our negotiations last week. He also said that he'd give us his paddle boat in the deal, so that made it even better! So, T made an offer this afternoon, and I assume (although I have not heard back from him) that it was accepted. Assuming all goes well, we close August 2.

It's been an eventful day, the start of an eventful week. Left to do: put finishing touches on the bibliography (boring), iron a few shirts to get T through the week, and make T an ice cream cake for his 31st birthday tomorrow (that's all he asked for). I'll be so glad when this week is over.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/05/2006 04:18:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Good news on the dissertation! Really, it is; no surprises, no blindsiding. Good luck at the meeting; try to do something nice for yourself afterward to relieve the strain of having to pick apart your dissertation again!

    And whew! on Pond House. My fingers and toes are crossed that all went well with T's offer. Why is buying a house so stress-inducing?!?

    Yummm, ice cream cake. I have GOT to have you as my next-door neighbor.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger betty said…

    Oh, I want some ice cream cake right now!

    Congrats on the offer - I can't wait to see pictures of Pond House.

    And, I'm with phdme - the dissertation status seems good. Fixable, light at the end of the tunnel, just a little bit longer good. Way to go!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I hope the meeting went well (I keep checking for an update!!) And more importantly that T had a great birthday (did u save us a lil cake??)

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Wonderful news on the house.

    Hopefully the meeting with your advisors went well.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    Happy New House! Happy Birthday to T! Send photos of the cake ;)
    I'm so impressed you're making it.

    Update us on the meeting with the advisors. I know you can do this so hang in there.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER