Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Alton Brown Will Get This Dissertation Done
I just put the finishing touches on a section of revisions I've been battling with for most of the day, and I really needed a break from staring at my computer. So, I headed downstairs to find something non-dissertation related to watch for half an hour before getting back to the dissertation -- trading one screen for another.

I flipped on the TV and went straight for the Food Network and there, amidst the trash that is on television these days, was my single beacon of good taste and science, the only person worth watching on television: Alton Brown.

What's more: Alton Brown making galettes, my absolute favorite dessert to make. He chills the butter with the flour for flakiness! He incorporates a little room temperature butter for tenderness! He has a tiny tailor's ruler to measure dough thickness! Anjou pears! Blueberries! Honestly, the man can do no wrong. I can practically taste the galette in my mouth right now, and if I had blueberries in the house I would be very tempted to roll out some dough and throw a galette in the oven. (I have nectarines, but I've tried a nectarine galette before and it wasn't very thrilling.)

For some people, a shopping trip is motivation to finish working. For others, it's a vacation. For me, getting back into my kitchen and baking is motivation enough for me to get this dissertation off of my desk. Out with the dissertation, in with the dough. I just can't wait. Alton, I'm coming.

(And Alton, if you're reading this -- one of your perfect little salt cellars would make an awesome graduation present. I'm totally worth it.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 6/08/2006 10:40:00 PM  
7 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Aww man, not Alton Brown. You know I love Food Network but he is the one host I cannot watch! But hey, if it works for you I'm glad that he's giving you a positive break from the beast!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    But, but... Mon! You're my Southern twin! If you don't like AB, then... what?!

    Just please, please, please don't tell me that your favorite Food Network host is Rachael Ray. That would be like daggers to my heart. Paula Deen I can stomach, but Rachael Ray drives me batty.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I love Warren Brown's Sugar Rush--but I invariably eat chocolate as I watch it (maybe "but" is the wrong word there--gives a negative connotation to eating chocolate!). And I also love Rachael Ray!
    I actually have the opposite relationship to cooking and academic work--I am supposed to be studying for prelims, and I don't want to, and so I spend two hours concocting the perfect pork recipe that incorporates the basil and parsley that I grow on my porch. Justification: my family has to eat, after all!

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger betty said…

    I've never watched Alton Brown (no cable) but my brothers and Dad love him. Any man that would measure his dough thickness sounds interesting enough to me, though. I'd totally watch if I could.

    I'm with Sarah though, I use baking and cooking as procrastination instead of motivation.

    Keep up the good work - and tell us about the galettes if you make them!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I know this was very distressing information for me as well. But fear not, Rachel Ray gets on my last nerve!!!! I don't know why SHE gets THREE shows. I don't like her at all. Although I do confess that I can stomach some of her early early episodes of $40/day (the ones shot back when Food Network wasn't even in my cable subscription). But she has gotten out of control, and I can't watch her cook. My favorite show right now (besides Food Challenge) is probably Ham on the Street--but I honestly don't watch enough of the daytime cooking shows to say. I'm more of a "Nighttime" viewer.

    (ok, why am I takin over ur comments to talk about FoodTV?!)

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Weezy said…

    I agree with your love of Alton totally- he is part of my nightly routine. I'd take him over Emeril any day! Intelligence vs someone yelling BAM does it for me!

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Donna Wong said…

    I think having something to take you mind off dissertation writing can be really helpful, as it would be a dissertation help that refresh the mind and at the same time relieves some stress cause by dissertation or thesis writing.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER