Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, May 01, 2006
Tired
I stayed up far too late last night, rereading and re-revising a paper I wrote with my advisor. It's a paper we affectionately refer to as "The Unpublishable Paper" because we've sent it to several journals and each time have had the same response: "This is a really interesting paper and makes a contribution to our understanding of XYZ. However, the paper is to specialized for the readership of our journal." Admittedly, we've sent the Unpublishable Paper to several top-ranked journals in my field, which was probably the wrong move considering its relatively narrow subject matter. This time, we're sending it to a niche journal and will hope for the best. At any rate, I spent most of last evening/night working on the latest incarnation of this paper.

When I finally did turn off my computer last night and climbed into bed, all I could think about was the dissertation. That's a rotten feeling, being cuddled up in your cozy bed and thinking about case selection and hypothesis testing when you're too tired to do anything about them. Now that I'm closing in on the dissertation, now that the end is well and truly within reach, I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed at the thought of the revision process. I've had comments from my advisors on the first five chapters, so I can start right to work on them once the full draft is written. I am definitely NOT looking forward to it, though -- I'm looking forward to being done. I am tired of looking at the same words, the same ideas -- I don't feel like "re-working" anything.

I seriously am barely keeping my eyelids open right now, and so I might have to take a short nap before I can accomplish anything today. I am not a good napper -- especially not when I have so much to do -- but I think I might have to give it a go today. Writing a dissertation on four hours of sleep is probably not the best idea.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 5/01/2006 09:35:00 AM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger phd me said…

    I didn't become a napper until the dissertation came along. Granted, some of it was avoidance, but with a brain that's constantly considering what to write how, naps become necessary for rejuvenating - especially when you add that to too little sleep. Head for the sofa, PM!

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger sp said…

    Oooh, I know that feeling of being in bed and yet not being able to escape work. Sometimes I work out experiments or recipes for a solution in my "sleep". That's no good. I hope you get some rest!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER