Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
ST's Superfood
A few weeks ago, ST picked out and planted a small tomato plant, truly handling every aspect of planting, fertilizing, and watering it by himself. Every day since then he's asked me, "Do you think my tomato plant has tomatoes on it today?" And every day since then I've explained to him that it takes a lot of time and energy for a little plant to produce tomatoes, and that we'd have to wait until the summer started before we'd see any actual fruits from the plant.

Yesterday was no different. We made our daily trek outside to check on the plant. "Oh, Mom!" ST screeched to me, having reached the tiny plant first. "There IS a tomato today!" Sure enough, as I pulled the leaves aside, there was a small, firm and very green tomato growing. ST was beside himself with excitement, and later that evening called two of his neighbor friends to come and see his wonderful tomato. "When it's ripe, it will be red," he explained to them. When one friend reached out to touch it, ST said, "No, don't touch it! It's just a baby!"

I wonder if, once the tomato is indeed ripe, ST will actually let us eat it -- he is so proud of that little plant. I have been blessed with a child who eats virtually anything, a child who even eats the lettuce used as garnish on his plate at a restaurant, and a child who roams the cereal aisle at the grocery store telling people not to eat cereal with too much sugar in it ("Mom says that Fruity Pebbles aren't breakfast, they're candy!" he says in the loudest voice possible). But this tomato might be too precious to him to slice up and serve with olive oil, parmesan, fresh basil and penne.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 5/09/2006 12:25:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Call me an unabashed sentimental, but this is one of the sweetest posts I've read in a while. I can't wait to hear all of ST's continuing tomato chronicles.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    How lovely! I can just hear his excitement in your post. :-)

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    Yes, this is truly lovely!! "No, don't touch it! It's just a baby" That's how I feel about my plants :)

    You are truly bless with a child who eats anything. My oldest son ate everything until he 18-19 months, but then, he didn't eat vegetables at all for over a year. I hope the same doesn't happen with the youngest. Both of them don't like to eat leaves, like lettuce... (sigh)

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Peri said…

    We love to garden at our house so I can imagine just what you are enjoying! He's a sweet one, that ST. You are raising such a thoughtful little boy. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER