Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Random Thoughts, Ver. 2.0
I have to pick up ST in a few minutes -- it's Wednesday, which is usually our day at home together but I had a bunch of stuff to accomplish this morniing and he won't be at daycare on Friday -- so this will be brief. Nothing too exciting to report, anyway.

  • Revisions are going well, but slowly. There aren't as many revisions as I thought (remember my advisors have already given me reactions to Chapters 1-5), but some of them are taking me a lot of time. I recall now why I hate revising: I get wedded to previous text and then sit and stare at my computer screen, praying that the right words magically appear without destroying the lovely words I'd already written. One good thing that has come of working with the text again, however, is that I'm rereading old case study chapters and thinking, "Man, did I actually write this? This makes sense!"
  • Just returned from a local public library, where I was typing an application form for T's Very Important Task. I hate to admit it, but it was kind of fun to work on a typewriter again. It also made me a little sad as I typed up the details of T's career: every time I typed to answer to "Reason for Leaving Job," it had to do with me. "Relocated so wife could attend Doctoral University." "Relocation to Midwestern State, where wife has accepted position on the faculty at Smallish Midwestern University." When I entered the library, I was feeling a bit bitter that I was doing his work, but I left the library remembering that I am the reason he has to do it.
  • We are gearing up for another trip to New Town this weekend, leaving on Friday morning. So far, I've set up appointments at seven different houses, including a revisit to Pond House. Pond House is annoying me at the moment because T and I go back and forth about buying it: it's lovely, it's expensive, the location is fantastic, it's too far away from other kids for ST, it would be fun to renovate and decorate, it needs too much work and will be too costly... I just wish I knew where we were going to live. Hopefully we'll see some good options. One is already intriguing to me: let's call it Nature Preserve House. Extensively updated on the inside, and a nature preserve is in the backyard. Granite countertops in the kitchen and Kohler fixtures are another bonus for me. We'll see.

Off to the post office and then to retrieve my sweet little boy.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 5/17/2006 12:05:00 PM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    I'm very interested in Nature Preserve House, too. Big thumbs up on the granite countertops! Good luck this weekend!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER