Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Noise
Noises that are certain to drive me up the wall:

1.) Whining preschoolers.

2.) Two whining preschoolers.

3.) Different noise-making cars/trucks going all at once.

4.) The sound of glass breaking in the grocery store.

5.) Preschoolers crying about nothing.

6.) Mothers coddling screaming preschoolers when they should be disciplining them.

For the record, the preschooler was not mine and the Mother was not me. It's been a long, long day and I just want some quiet. There's something about noisy, whiney children that just makes me want to tear my hair out and scream myself (and this is also true when the whining child IS mine, which is thankfully not too often) -- I almost reached that point today.

Shhhh.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 5/03/2006 06:41:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Calma, calma! Shhh. Yeah, we've all... eh...um... I've been there.

    I'm sure, absolutely sure, that my two boys have taught me much more about how to live life, and how to behave, than I have taught them. I'm also sure that they've learned abundantly more from simply being, than I could ever teach them.

    I think I'd have to say, I'm a better person today than I was before I was a father, and despite my occasional momentary lapses of judgement, I've done alright. I know that, when the Painter instead of screaming at his little brother for sometimes crying and whining for no reason, turns to him and says "It's okay... you don't have to cry. Everything will be okay."

    It melts the heart, at least when it works.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Peri said…

    Did I write this post for you? I might have to change #3 as we are not so truck oriented, but other than that, it's my house, too.

    I'm glad to know I'm not the only mom who hates to see other parents indulging bad behavior. Parenting IS hard work, but damn it, we all pay when parents are lazy and give in to the whining. Anyone who wants to know where obnoxious and selfish college students come from should just spend some time with some of the parents at our pre-school. It's quite easy to imagine the results about 15 years down the road....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER