Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, May 11, 2006
Dinner With BrightStar
Yesterday afternoon none of the meals I had written out on my weekly meal plan (which I used to post each Sunday, but I've been lazy about it) looked terribly appealing or fun to make, and so I decided to surf the web for some inspiration. I remembered that BrightStar had recently engaged in some tasty dinner blogging, and after looking at her recipe and realizing that I had all of the ingredients on hand, I decided to make "Chicken and Ziti Bake."

It was delicious. My alterations: I shredded the chicken (and used a bit more than 1/2 lb.), I used petite diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes, I used whole-wheat penne pasta, and I used oregano, garlic, and basil instead of Italian Seasoning (which is a little too heavy on the rosemary for my tastes). I used the recommended amount of cheese. I also added fresh parsley on the top, and served it with a green salad and garlic bread. It was quite good, and T was thrilled that there were plenty of leftovers to take to work this morning. Even ST had two big helpings!

This was an easy recipe, satisfying, and attractive. It also didn't use any "strange" ingredients, so perhaps even picky eaters (ahem, ABDmom!) would like it. Perhaps this will become the "Dinner Meme?"
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 5/11/2006 09:24:00 AM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    YAY! How fun. Sheepish made a version of this recently, too. I actually also used almost a pound of chicken in mine, too... I forgot to put that in my post.

    I'm loving your use of your digital camera with a high level of frequency. The blogosphere appreciates it. :)

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    oh, and? I like the phrase "easy, satisfying, and attractive." :)

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Yes, no "weird" ingredients, but...

    (small voice) I don't like tomatoes.

    I know, I know! How can I not like tomatoes?! Especially when I like spaghetti sauce!

    I guess it's a texture thing.

    Could it be made without the tomatoes? Or with tomato paste or sauce? Becuase it sounds (and looks) really good, aside from the whole tomato thing.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger michelle said…

    Thanks! Looks like I have something good to make for dinner tonight.

    I will probably compromise between the two recipes and come up with something the picky kids will eat as well.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    ABD, depending on your texture tolerance, you could try it with diced tomatoes, but maybe use an immersion blender to make them a bit smaller? And then add an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce? Or maybe you could substitute a jar or half a jar of chunky spaghetti sauce? (And then adjust the seasoning to accomodate the spices already in the sauce?)

    You need some kind of tomato in there for the overall substance of the dish, I think.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER