Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Slow Going
I've been diligently working for most of the day on Chapter Seven, but I'm going nowhere fast.

The last time I met with my advisors, they both said that they were more than happy to let me drop my fourth case study entirely -- it really was rather superfluous. So, I'm working on the last case study, the third, and it was going well at the beginning of the week until I realized that it 1.) contained way too much overlap with Chapter Six (let us never speak of it again); and 2.) was really, really, mind-numbingly boring. This is the case I knew the least about pre-dissertation, the case that was recommended to me by the outside member of my committee (but not enthusiastically). So, after getting a few pages into it, I decided (and my advisors agreed) that it would be best for the dissertation to pick up the dropped case study again. So, that's what I've been doing today -- sifting through documents, tracking things down, wading through stacks and stacks of paper.

The upside: the case study is pretty interesting, and it covers some aspects of the process I'm studying I had, up to this point, only superficially analyzed. In addition, there's not a whole lot of information out there on this case -- and I know this because I've been searching for it all morning -- which means that, after the initial sort, there will be less to write about than in the previous chapters. That's good. It means that this chapter will be pretty short, which is what my advisors wanted anyway. Short chapter = that much closer to writing the conclusion.

The downside: it's another incredibly complex issue, and I can already feel my little brain pulsing in my skull, begging for mercy. Grr.

Aside from wasting reams of paper printing dull, possibly-useful, possibly-not-useful documents today, I used part of my self-imposed lunch break to take some more pictures with my fun new camera. Since ST wasn't here, I resorted to two of my favorite non-human subjects, one of which you're very familiar with -- my kitchen sink -- and one of which I don't write about often: our 12-year-old cat, Belle.


My sparkling clean kitchen sink and new faucet. If it's not clean, I am paralyzed in the kitchen. I had to scrub it last night because ST tossed a bowl of soggy Raisin Bran in it yesterday morning and I didn't catch it until late afternoon, which meant I had gummy brown flakes all over the stainless steel. Not attractive. A little elbow grease and my ever-present Mr. Clean Magic Eraser made quick work of the mess, and I woke up to this shiny gem this morning. As T likes to
say, "Ah, her sink is clean. All is well in the cosmic order."


Our cat, Belle. We adopted her in 1998 from the Humane Society in Western State -- they estimated that she was about three years old then. She had been a family pet, but then the family who had her moved and decided not to take her with them. Sad for her, good for us! We "interviewed" dozens of cats at the Humane Society, and we knew instantly that Belle was a perfect match for us (despite the fact that her previous owners had named her "Calista Flockhart." I'm not kidding.).
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/13/2006 02:57:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said…

    Oh, Belle is so beautiful!!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Nice... when we put our condo on the market (what was it? three years ago), the most popular comment from buyers' agents was oooh, what a lovely shiny sink. Stainless steel sinks can do that for you. Too bad our house doesn't have a stainless sink.

    But my dream is to get a Corian counter with a drop Corian sink. No more sink lips to clean out with a toothbrush. Just wipe it all into the sink. Ahhh. One of these days. I guess I need to get some income first, eh?

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Corinne said…

    wow. what a lovely camera. the sink and the cat surpass words. belle reminds me of the cat of my childhood, my lovely tasha. and sparkling gentle stainless steel -- priceless.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER