Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, April 08, 2006
Pop Quiz
Which one of these is true?

1.) I have really been finished with my dissertation for six months, but I've been pretending to "work" on it just to make all of the other ABDs out there feel better.

2.) I moonlight as a waitress for Hooters.

3.) T has just signed me up for a 5K race at the end of the month, and I am going to die.

You have one minute to select the BEST possible answer.

Scoring:

If you guessed (1), you are insane. If you truly believe that I am faking all of this misery, then I am one heck of a good actress and have seriously misjudged my calling.

If you guessed (2), you... well, let's just say that choice (2), if it WAS true (which it isn't) would be so hysterically funny and sad that I surely wouldn't write about it here.

If you guessed (3), you are, unfortunately, correct. Well, you're correct about the 5K in my future (because T, my unofficial trainer, says I'm "ready" despite the fact I've never run more than two miles in my life, and a 5K is 3.1 miles), and you might also be correct that my death is imminent. The race is at the end of the month. I ran two miles today and I could already just about feel my major bodily systems shutting down. This is not going to be pretty, folks.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/08/2006 11:00:00 AM  
6 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    WHY did he sign you up for this race? It's not like you have anything else on your plate?!

    Good luck!

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    LOL. I once had a friend talk me into entering a bicycle race, with no training.... I think I made it halfway through the second loop, before I was disqualified... if another racer laps you... you're out. Of course, I think they ALL lapped me.

    But, the image of a PhDed Hooters waitress, running a 5k race, in one of those skimpy outfits, makes me roll on the floor in absolute weepy-eyed laughter.

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    Did you say that you ran 2 miles today? I have never run that far continuously IN MY LIFE! You go!

    If someone signed me up for something like that without consulting me, I'd be de-signing myself up from it pretty darn quick, though.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Thanks for the comments!

    I knew that T was going to sign me up for *a* race, but I didn't know he was going to sign me up for *this* race. I told him I'd be willing to do a 5K sometime this year, provided that he ran with me (at MY pace) and that I had trained enough to be comfortable doing at least 1/2 of the race distance.

    He told me that he had signed us both up for this race and I freaked out a little, telling him that I wasn't ready, but now I'm actually a little excited: I've never done ANYTHING like this before, never been good at anything remotely athletic, and I'm sure that if I had been in charge of signing myself up, I wouldn't have. (Too chicken.) He promised to do a few training runs with me at my speed (T runs far and fast -- he runs 5 miles 4 times a week), and said that I could absolutely back out if I was really uncomfortable. But I think I'm going to do it. As much as it scares me, I think it will, in the long run (no pun intended) be a chance for me to step out of my comfort zone. And that's usually healthy. (Unless you die, which I might.)

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    I'm with B*--you ran two miles??!! I'm beyond impressed--if I ever run even a quarter mile it will probably be because a large animal is chasing me.

    Best wishes to you--you'll do GREAT!!

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    You won't die! You rock! Best wishes with the race.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER