Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, April 10, 2006
Opposites Attract, But When?
T and I have always operated on opposite schedules because he is an incurable morning person and I am a consummate nightowl. This is a little annoying, but we've made it work for over a decade (we've known each other since 1995, married since 1999). An example:

Saturday, 5:00am

T: (Rubs my back, kisses my neck, feeling amorous.) Are you awake? Hey, are you still sleeping? You are? Not interested? .... OK. I'm going for a run and to watch the sunrise. (Bounds out of bed, leaves for a five mile run.)

Me: (Not at all awake or chipper, barely comprehending what he's saying or doing.)

Saturday, 8:30am

T: (Finished with his shower, breakfast, and reading the newspaper.) Hon, I think I'm going to go fertilize the lawn. And then I think I'm going to hop over to the hardware store to get the lawnmower blades sharpened. Would you mind if I took ST with me? I need to stop at Lowe's, too... and should I stop by the market to get stuff for supper?

Me: (Eating breakfast, slowly, bleary-eyed.) Sure, yeah. Whatever. Sounds good.

Saturday, 4:00pm.

Me: (Just finished with two loads of laundry.) I'm going to clean the bathrooms. And then ST and I are going to bake a cake. Do you care what kind we make? Oh, and I just finished the thank-you notes for ST's birthday; do we have stamps? And did you see ST's Easter basket? I just finished it... I think ST and his friends are going to play tee-ball later and then I'll freshen up the flower bed outside...

T: (Yawning, sitting down to make a few job-hunting calls.) Man, I need a nap. Would you mind if I laid down for a little bit? (Makes his calls and stretches out on the couch.)

Saturday, 10:00pm

Me: (Curling up around T in bed, feeling amorous.) Are you sleeping? Sweetie, are you really tired? Huh? Are you?

T: (Legs twitching, breathing deeply, eyes fluttering.) Hmmm? (Silence.)

Me: (Hop out of bed, clean the kitchen, organize my office, make a grocery list; in bed by 12:30am.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/10/2006 09:11:00 AM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Ha! That's just like us! Except I'm the morning person and he's the night owl. I am always begging him to wake up in the morning or to go to bed at night. We're trying to concieve a baby right now--well, we've said we're trying to concieve a baby right now--and let's just say it's not going to work this way!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Problem for us is we're both nightowls, trapped in a never-ending cycle of be awakened all through the night. I get up at 7:00 (if I'm not already up) to give The Painter some milk (only because I refuse anymore to get it earlier... like 5:30 or 6:00 when he often first comes to ask!). And I fully intend to crawl back under the covers... but I never do.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Lilian said…

    LOL really hard... It's not exactly us, but more or less. And going to bed at 12:30 is relatively early for me - I'm THAT BAD a night owl... Hubby can stay up late, but he'd rather get up early and he does leave for the university each morning at 8.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER