Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, April 07, 2006
Moving On
You all know that Chapter Six has been the bane of my existence for the past few weeks. I was scheduled to finish it by March 20th, and only finished it today, April 7th. That is disappointing, for sure, especially considering that I still don't feel like it's "done." In fact, I'm sure it's not "done," but the state it is in now will have to suffice until I feel up to looking at it again. I need some distance from it in order to look at it objectively -- I couldn't even bring myself to print it off today because then it would be sitting here on my desk, watching me, waiting for me to do something.

So now, on to Chapter Seven. I was going to write about how Chapter Seven, my final case study, will be shorter than Chapter Six and even easier than Chapter Six (anything has to be easier than Chapter Six, can of worms that it was), but I'm not going to say that for fear of jinxing myself. I'm hesitant to say what my deadline is for Chapter Seven, since every time I set myself a deadline for Chapter Six I felt worse and worse when I couldn't meet it -- in fact, I'm not going to reveal my deadline here. I am going to print off some documents I'll need for Chapter Seven this afternoon and then give my addled brain a rest.

Instead of sitting at the computer for the rest of the afternoon, I think I'm going to get some other things done around here: laundry (of course), some additional ironing, and I'll give my poor kitchen sink a good scrubbing. Cleaning makes me feel very accomplished, perhaps because I can see the results of my work. Sure, Chapter Six is "done," but no one will see it for another few weeks (my advisors said that they don't need me to turn in individual chapters anymore -- they want the entire dissertation next) and so I don't really feel "relieved." If my laundry baskets are empty and my sink is sparkling, I feel like I have something very tangible to show for my day. (Naturally, if I had the nerve to print Chapter Six I'd have something tangible as well, but I truly am not up to it.)

This weekend should be nice, though. Barring any major catastrophes at work, T won't have to go into the office this weekend and so we'll have time together. Since the house is basically sold (contingencies pending, of course, keeping my fingers crossed), we're not going to do any major "projects" this weekend, and I'm only going to work on the dissertation if I feel like it (hah!). And since ST's birthday bash is over, we can finally take the time to assemble his new toys (this is my favorite, from MIL) and convince him that pedaling his "big boy bike" is preferable to scooting along with his Big Wheel. I think T and I are also going to have a short "date" tomorrow night. Even if it's just a quiet dinner alone, it will be a welcome break. We might even -- shocker! -- have a glass of wine! Or two! Bring on the Riesling, I say.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/07/2006 01:31:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Regardless of the shape, Chapter Six is DONE and that is GREAT! Chapter Seven will be a whole new ball game--try not to bring the yucky feelings over Six into your work with Seven. You are really moving on and doing great!!

    And you know I'm not a wine person, but Dr. J introduced me to Riesling and it is my FAV (especially German--I should get you to teach me how to read the labels!) Wish I could kick back and have a glass with you!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Dates are good, especially with a nice bottle of wine! The chapter's done. Remember done trumps best any day. And remember my aphorism: the difference between potential and achievement is writing a conclusion.

    It's odd, I had forgotten that you and some of our other friends out here were ABD... Then, once I'd remembered, I had to remind myself that I'm not. Goes to show you, it's good as done, eh?

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Absolutely, give that brain a rest! Clear your head, enjoy some time with your sweetie, then tackle that next chapter after some much deserved relaxation.

    And yeah for the Riesling. I'm not much of a wine drinker, either, Mon, but I've loved Riesling ever since I had a bottle in Munich. Someday maybe we can all share a glass or two!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER