Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Love At First *Click!*
We lost our digital camera over the holidays -- we don't know what happened to it. As we packed our Honda to leave my parent's house and return to Home State that day in December, I distinctly remember setting the camera down on the floor next to our other bags. I did not carry it to the car myself, but I know that it was there. We left the house and went to get gas. Then we were on the road for eight hours, and in about the fifth hour of travel I turned to T and said, "Hey, have you seen the camera?" He thought for sure it was in ST's toy bag, and so at the next rest area we checked. It wasn't there, and it wasn't anywhere to be found in our car, in any of our luggage, or at my parent's house. After holding out hope that we'd simply misplaced it, after four months without a camera we decided to cave and buy a new one. (The fact that Best Buy had 18 months interest-free financing didn't hurt, either; although we'll pay it off next month, it's nice to have that 18 months dangling out there.)

So, we bought a little Canon Powershot SD450, and I've been playing around with it for a few minutes. I am in love. It has so many more features than our old Nikon Coolpix 4300. For one, it has movies with sound (our Nikon recorded movies, but no sound!), it can stitch together pictures for panoramic shots, and it can take pictures in low light (which our Nikon also did, but poorly). Here's an example, taken just a few minutes ago -- I love how the picture looks exactly how my messy desk looks right now (new camera paraphrenalia all over the place), at 10:30pm with only my desk lamp illuminating the room.

I love that the camera didn't wash out the gentle light of the lamp. I'm a complete camera dunce, but I know what I like and this is it: pictures of my life the way I actually see it.

I took a movie of ST reciting "Peter Piper picked a peck of picked peppers" and singing "Baa, Baa Black Sheep." With sound! So exciting.

A real post on real things follows tomorrow. Just had to share the news of our newest (little!) addition. I sense mysterious, Jo(e)-esque back-of-the-head photos and B*-esque nature shots in this blog's future!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/12/2006 10:19:00 PM  
3 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    It is a lovely camera! I've that model for a litle over a year and it goes with me everywhere! I rarely use the movie feature, but you have a kid. That should make for getting some good memories of him in motion.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Does this mean you're ready to show your books?

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Ah, yes, Ragey -- I can't wait for ST to get home so we can make some movies!

    AD -- I would show my books, but the majority of them are in boxes in a storage facility four miles away. Darn!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER