Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Epiphany
So I'm struggling with Chapter Seven (surprise, surprise), struggling with the language component (as always), and was just feeling pretty miserable about it yesterday because this was supposed to be the "easy" chapter (delusional me). I sat here at my computer yesterday and just couldn't get my mind around how the chapter was supposed to look after I dropped one case study in favor of another.

But then, just as I was leaving to pick ST up from daycare, the skies opened and there was a loud chorus of angels overhead and I realized that, hey! these case studies could be combined in an umbrella chapter! I don't know why I didn't think of this before: each case is about something related to a larger issue, and each case reveals something slightly different about the overarching issue. If I include both, I get 1.) more variation and 2.) more complete coverage of the theme of the dissertation. Win-win situation.

I've been working on it today and it's actually starting to take shape. I have to keep pushing myself because this is it -- after this comes a conclusion, and after that: freedom (and revisions).
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/18/2006 01:58:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Sounds great--keep up the good work!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger phd me said…

    Yeah!! See, your genius hasn't failed you yet. :)

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Dr. Shellie said…

    Yay! Isn't it weird when those good ideas strike? There seems to be something about standing up and walking away from your desk... some neuroscientist should figure this out!

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Don't just love it when it all becomes clear? Glad to hear that chapter is taking shape! :~)

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Adrienne and Sinclair said…

    Way to hang in there and stay with it. If you don't mind, I want to mention your pushing through here as a tactic to copy on our podcast on dissertation writing. It's like an audio blog, I guess. Dissertation Nation and it can be found in Itunes. I am amazed by how many dissertators are bloggers! I never knew about this great, extended community! Adrienne

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER