Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Saturday, April 15, 2006
"As it is written..."
In my family, the classic 1956 movie The Ten Commandments is an integral part of our Easter ritual. When I was a child, the night that movie was on television was a special night, a night when we were allowed to eat in front of the TV and stay up until the credits rolled. The movie is not only a beloved Easter tradition, but also the source of a lot of family jokes. My Dad, the biggest softie in the world, is fond of doing his best Yul Brynner imitation and saying "As it is written, so it shall be done!" with as much authority as he can muster. And my brother Rob can do a perfect Charlton Heston impersonation, often adding bits I don't think Moses would have actually uttered: "Let my people go! Let them go... south of the border, to Taco Bell! Let them enter a land flowing with processed cheese and reconstituted beef...!" And my mother has not-so-secretly been in love with Charlton Heston her whole life, despite his NRA involvement. His role as Moses trumps all of that gun business in her mind.

This year, someone tried to do a remake of The Ten Commandments; it aired last week. My Dad, recovering from knee surgery, decided that he would take the plunge for all of us and watch the movie and report back to us on how it measured up to the "original." He called me earlier this week.

Dad: You know that new Ten Commandments movie I told you about?

Me: Yeah. Did you see it?

Dad: Sure did. Wow. Was that a bad movie.

Me: Really? What was wrong with it?

Dad: (pausing) Well, for one thing Moses didn't look anything like Charlton Heston...

I fear my entire family will be bitterly disappointed if we reach heaven and discover that Moses does not actually look like Charlton Heston circa 1956.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 4/15/2006 11:28:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Too cute--my aunt was also horribly disappointed at the remake.

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Peri said…

    I didn't even attempt to watch the remake. Shame on ABC! It's the only positive way I can think about Charleton Heston, too. I love the whole creepy and incestuous love story between Pharoah's daughter and Moses-- Especially how she drawls out, Moses, like it has multiple long o's in it. I know you'll know what I mean.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    Peri -- I TOTALLY know the M-oooh-ses thing! My Mom imitates that, too!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Peri said…

    I knew you would! Who's that actress, anyway?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER