Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Monday, March 20, 2006
Weekend Update
Today, our bedroom, 5:00am:

ST: (shuffles in from his bedroom) Dad, this bear is making me mad. (Holds up large brown bear for T to examine.)

T: (barely awake) Well, put him in our closet, then.

ST: This bear said, "Grrrrrr! I'm going to eat you!" And then I told him that he was making me mad.

T: (annoyed) ST, just put the bear in the closet and go back to bed.

ST: I don't want to put the bear in the closet.

T: Then take him back to your room.

ST: No. I think we should give him to Goodwill or take him to the city dump.

Can you tell what we did all weekend long? Loads and loads of unused or unwanted items made their way to Goodwill on Saturday, and loads and loads of half-empty paint cans, old Venetian blinds, miscellaneous pieces of lumber and drywall, and cracked flowerpots found their way to the city dump. Our house is squeaky clean, to the point that there is no "junk drawer" anymore because we've tossed out all of the junk. It's a nice feeling, being free of clutter, pared down to the essentials. Our house feels huge.

The weekend was busy. Saturday was a cleaning day, and then Sunday was a sick day. ST recovered from his mini-illness by Friday afternoon, but then Saturday night I started to feel sick. I was in bed all day yesterday and am still feeling weak and feverish today. I think I have the flu, actually -- body aches, chills, fever, headache, tinge of sore throat, and a raspy cough. ST had a flu shot and I didn't, so maybe that's why I'm so sick and he's fine? Doggone it.

Back to regularly-scheduled academic blogging when I'm feeling up to regularly-scheduled academic work. That may or may not be today, depending on how fast this medicine kicks in.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/20/2006 11:29:00 AM  
1 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    :) Charming.

    Boy, a clean house would be great. We had packed up all our belongings, and moved from my doctoral institution back to our family home (the one that won't sell!) in Spring 2003, then headed overseas for my Fulbright late that summer. We got back the following summer (still having never fully unpacked).

    When my father died, we acquired all of his things, plus all the things we had left before coming out for the PhD. All of which (except what we were able to sell or give away) was packed up and moved to our present home. We've been here since June, but we've still got some things in boxes.

    No junk drawer! Now that's a goal before the next move!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER