Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Sale of the Century
How to sell your house, the "normal" way:

1.) Find a realtor.
2.) Decide on asking price and commission.
3.) Put sign in yard.
4.) Have open house(s). Have strangers tromp through your house.
5.) Wait.
6.) Wait.
7.) Wait.
8.) Receive offer.
9.) Decide if it's good; counter-offer if necessary.
10.) Accept offer.
11.) Close the deal and move.

How to sell your house, Prof. Me and T. style:

1.) Decide on asking price by doing a little research.
2.) Casually mention to neighbor that house will be for sale.
3.) Show house to neighbor on a whim.
4.) Neighbor makes offer because house is so incredibly cute.

The Prof. Me and T Style of house-selling is as of tonight only perfected through Step Four. I imagine Steps 5-7 will mirror Steps 9-11 in the "normal" way.

So, we have an offer on our house*, and what's more, the offer is from an adorable family we like very much. If we decide to accept their offer (we're probably going to counter-offer, as we'd like to get a bit closer to our full asking price; we're not far off, though), we will close in August. I cannot tell you how good I will feel if we end up selling our beloved house to this family -- as I've mentioned before, we are very attached to this place and want to sell it to someone who will love it as much as we do. I am sure this family would take excellent care of the place; indeed, it seems perfect for them.

I never imagined that we'd sell this place without so much as putting a "For Sale" sign in our yard! It's amazing how, no matter how much worrying I do about things, the pieces eventually start falling into place in the craziest of ways.

* Kudos to my friend ABDmom for guessing my "something cool to report" correctly!
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/29/2006 08:32:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said…

    Very cool indeed.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Yeah!!

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Wonderful news!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    Yay! Great news! We meet with the realtor tonight to start the process of selling this house, and I'm nervous. This email makes me feel like there might be some hope. :)

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    All hail the amazing Prof. me. Rub some of that luck on me, that's all I ask for!

    Or, if not that, send some of those Kaierthingies to cheer me up.

    One thing I've learned from this house-selling debacle is: no matter what they say, it's easier to buy a house from the owner who is still living there, and loves the place. That's how we bought it in the first place.

    The biggest mistake we made was leaving the house in a rush, and trusting others to handle it for us. If we were still there, when it went on the market, we'd have been able to handle every little thing as it came up, and we'd be able to allay any fears or concerns that a potential buyer would have.

    Good luck in closing that deal!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER