Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Random Thoughts
I am seriously lacking in creativity these days; yesterday I could not think of anything interesting to blog about, and today's not looking much better. For your reading (dis)pleasure, random thoughts:

1.) Had nice meetings with both of my advisors today. They're happy with the state of the dissertation and happy with my plans for finishing. No major issues. I feel good about it.

2.) Saw two friends in the hallway on campus today, and both of them are defending in May. Both of them also have Prof. C. as an advisor, and they met with him before I did this morning. When I asked Prof. C. about the length of my dissertation, he told me that mine was probably the longest of all the dissertations to be completed this year. One of my friends has a dissertation less than 100 pages, which Prof. C. is quite concerned about. He said that the trend in the discipline (or in his subfield, at least) has been toward shorter dissertations (i.e., less than 150 pages). I wonder why that is? Mine will probably be about 160-175 pages when I'm done, including acknowledgements, references, and the table of contents. For the department, the length of my dissertation is slightly above average. I guess one year someone wrote a 900 page dissertation; he never defended it, though (probably couldn't remember what it was about!).

3.) I had lunch with Kurt today to go over some translation issues for this chapter I'm working on. To my delight, I discovered that I'd translated everything nearly perfectly; only one section needed tidying. Hurray for me.

4.) T came home from last night from visiting his grandparents and I am so glad. I love being with ST and we had a lot of fun while T was gone (he left last Wednesday), but I forget how exhausting it is being a single parent, even for a short time. I thought again to November, when T did the single parent thing for a whole month while I was in Europe without complaint -- what an awesome guy I married. Hurray for me again.

5.) As I was rereading the comments from my advisors on my draft chapters this afternoon, I came across the word "inexorable" (e.g., "Do you think [process I'm studying] is inexorable?"). I have looked that word up hundreds of times, and I still cannot remember what it means. There are a few words like that in my life; it's annoying.

6.) Since tomorrow is Wednesday, ST and I will be together all day and I can't wait. We're going to meet Brigitte (Kurt's wife) and Hans (Kurt's almost-three-year old son) so that Brigitte can teach me how to make real Kaiserschmarrn. It's a simple recipe for a delightful pancake-like dish doused in applesauce and powdered sugar, but mine never tastes quite right. Maybe it's one of those dishes that are best when someone makes it for you. When I lived in Austria, I had Kaiserschmarrn once or twice a week. I could have eaten it everyday, though. It's that good.

7.) If all goes well, I might have something cool to report in the next few evenings. How's that for mystery?

8.) Now, I'm going grocery shopping and then I'm off to pick up ST. Exciting times...
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/28/2006 02:49:00 PM  
6 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Glad your meeting went well and I very much appreciate the updates--glad to just know you and your family are well.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Ok, you're messin with my head aren't you--I just came back by to give you this quiz to see if you are truly addicted to your counter--http://wannabegirl.org/quiz/hitslut/

    But I no longer see where you wrote about that :(...

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Mon - I think she took away the counter thingy from the post. I read it earlier, I'm sure I did. I have a counter on my site and I rarely check the statistics on it. If I didn't get the e-mail reminder I would forget about it.

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous abd anonymous said…

    Mmmm ... it does sound delicious! Will you post the secret, if you discover what it is?

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    I'm thinking #7 might be that you have an offer on your house? I was just wondering today how the home-selling is going, actually.

    I'm going to take three guesses, just for fun:

    1. You have an offer on your house.
    2. You've made an offer on a house in new city.
    3. You think you're pregnant.

    I will be waiting to see if any of my guesses are right. :)

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    ABD, it's not the last one! Oh, goodness if it was, I'd be a basketcase. Excited, but a basketcase.

    Mon and Ragey, I did have something about StatCounter in the original post, up for about five minutes. I decided to take it away, though, because it felt like I was saying, "Guess what? I'm waaaaaatching you!" (Creepy to me, even though I'm sure everyone and his brother has StatCounter.)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER