Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Percomate
Yesterday, as I was preparing dinner in the kitchen:

ST: (from the corner of the living room): Mom! Mom! Mooooooom! Come in here and look at my cars.

Me: (concentrating on recipe and not really listening)

ST: Mooooooooom! Mooooooom! MOM!

ST marches into the kitchen and pulls on my shirt.

ST: Mom, you have to percomate when I'm calling you.

Me: Percomate? What's that?

ST: Percomate.

Me: Yes, but what does it mean?

ST: It means you have to listen to me.

Me: OK, I'm percomating now. What do you need?

We proceed to the living room and have a chat about the lovely parking lot he's made under the coffee table. Evening proceeds as usual. Fast forward to around 8:00pm, when I am running water for ST's bath.

Me: (calling downstairs) ST! Come up here please! It's bathtime!

ST: (silence)

Me: (louder) ST! Come up here now. It's time for your bath.

ST: (silence)

I run downstairs and find him happily playing with his cars in the family room. I pick him up and start carrying him upstairs for his bath.

Me: (undressing ST) Why didn't you come when I called you?

ST: I don't want to take a bath.

Me: I understand that, but you still have to listen to me. I mean, you have percomate. Didn't you tell me that percomate meant "listen to me?"

ST: (authoritatively) No, Mom. Percomate means "listen to ME." (Points to himself.)
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/14/2006 01:13:00 PM  
5 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    ROTFL .... [I still can't breathe]. uh huh huh hee hee hee hee. [ah....] There, now that's better.

    Yeah, the Painter is quite prolific with his terminology as well. We call it Painterese. And, it's just marvelous that their words have such specific meaning. It's all about deixis, you know.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger ABDmom said…

    HA! I love it!

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    LOL! That kid is too smart for his own good!

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    LOL...what will he come up with next!!!

    LOve it!!!

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    I love it! ROFL!!!!!!

    By the way, did you find out about eating treats during Lent? Can you eat them on Sundays? I'm thinking about you --especially since I've had major sugar cravings this week.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER