Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, March 23, 2006
The Naming of Firemen
In our playroom, about 7:00pm, setting up the Legoland fire station.

Me: (finding the three Lego firemen at the bottom of the box): What should we name these guys?

ST: Hmmm. I think he's Jim.

Me: And what about this guy?

ST: Oh, that's Henry.

Me: And the last guy? The chief?

ST: New York City.

Me: (silent)

Me: Ummm, New York City isn't a name for a person. It's a name for a city. You know, like a place.

ST: When I have a brother or sister I will name it New York City.

Great...
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/23/2006 09:34:00 PM  
7 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Got to laugh at this. This morning at one of our favority playgrounds... we met a boy named ... "Brooklyn". No, really. I mean it's not half bad a name... and I guess -lyn is better than city... but, would you name your kid after a New York burrough?

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    er... favorite... I mean, I would never intentionally say (or write) favority... that was a typo... you know, priming and all, city... -rity... that's all. Don't hold it against me. (The one time I don't use the preview feature, wouldn't it figure).

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger BrightStar said…

    !!!

    Too too funny. Also, funny that ST thinks he gets to name a sibling himself.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous abd anonymous said…

    It could be the next popular "gender-neutral" baby name ...

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Prof. Me said…

    B*, we're still trying to convince him that HE will not be the one bearing any future siblings. He's always telling us that "when I get bigger, I'm going to have a baby in my tummy and it will be my brother or sister!" He seemed very sad when I told him that boys couldn't have babies, only girls. Poor kid.

    AD, we have a "Brooklyn" around town here, too. I wonder if she has a sister "Manhattan?"

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    I guess "Manhattan" would be better than "Poughkeepsie".

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Peri said…

    That kid has such a great brain! I'll hope he's in a different phase when and if a sibling arrives. I think if that happened at our house a male or female child would be promptly named "Cinderelly." I'd prefer NYC!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER