Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Thursday, March 23, 2006
Doldrums
I am having a bad writing day. I've been sitting here for hours, diligently tapping on my keyboard, but everything I write sounds ridiculous and my translations have been clunky and inaccurate. I am deleting more than I'm keeping. I just can't seem to get into the "groove" of this chapter again today. I think I'll keep plugging away for another hour and then pack it up until tonight after ST goes to bed.

I think I'm feeling a little out of sorts because T is away. His grandmother is very, very sick -- she will not recover, and he figured he'd rather see her now than wait to attend the inevitable funeral. He flew south to visit her until Monday, which was a good thing for him to do. Not only will he be able to spend some much-needed quality time with his grandparents, but he'll also be in warm weather. I think T suffers from a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder, where weather patterns influence his mood to a significant degree. Every year around this time, like clockwork, he gets into a funk that doesn't dissipate until the snow is gone for good -- he mopes around, is bored all the time, and eats a lot of junk and drinks soda (this from a marathon runner!). I'm hoping that he'll get a chance to go for a few nice walks with his grandfather while he's there -- it would be good for everyone to let a little sunshine in.

And I'm really missing ST today. I know he's only a block away, having a ball at daycare (actually, he's probably napping about now), but we had such a nice day together yesterday that I just wish he was here with me. We had a "date" last night since Dad was gone -- we went to dinner (french toast and chocolate milk for everyone!) and then lounged around at Barnes and Noble for a few hours. We bought James and the Giant Peach -- one of my favorite books from when I was a child -- and read a few chapters before bed. It was such a sweet time, made even sweeter by the fact that his new thing is to tell me how "cute" I am, which is hysterical. "You know what I think, Mom?" he'll ask, grinning. "I think you're really cute!"

Better get back to it. My goal today is at least five pages, and I know I can do it if I keep my mind on it and stop thinking about the cupcakes I promised ST we'd make tonight for him to bring to daycare tomorrow as a special treat. Doggone cupcakes.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 3/23/2006 02:00:00 PM  
2 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Dr. Mon said…

    Hang in there--hope you have a productive evening of writing. Sorry to hear about T's grandmother.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    It's good T is taking the time to be with family. Those memories last the longest.

    And it's great you've had such a good time with ST. I'm sure he's right about your being cute. Your writing's cute. :)

    I hope you haven't eaten all the cupcakes. They're for daycare, remember. And I hope you got that writing done after all (I mean on the diss, not the blog).

    But... it'll all be alright, one way or the other. Things always do turn out.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER