Acade(me)

The dissertation was only the beginning.

People & Places
T: Amazing Husband
ST: Three-year-old Wonder
Prof. G: Advisor I
Prof. C: Advisor II
Julie: Stylish Sister
Rob: Awesome Brother
Belle: Our Cat
Bill: Grumbling BIL
Rita: Uncomplicated SIL
SMU: Smallish Midwestern University
Doctoral University: where I got my Ph.D.
Technical
Blogwise - blog directory
Drop Me A Line
academeblog AT gmail.com
Quote of the Day
Friday, February 24, 2006
The Way To My Heart
As part of our "Design to Sell" plan for this house, we bought a new kitchen faucet. I was tremendously excited about this; you may recall my obsession for my kitchen sink, the sparkling heart of our kitchen from whence most good things come. When T and I were gone on our weekend to New Town my Dad attempted to install the faucet, but his efforts were stymied when he realized that the faucet hookups were welded in a single piece that couldn't be unscrewed, and he didn't have welding equipment with him to sweat new joints. So, we knew we'd have to call a plumber, and we weren't looking forward to paying one. The shiny new faucet has been sitting on our kitchen island, taunting me with its graceful curves and brushed nickel finish, for almost a month.

Today I decided that enough was enough and I called a plumber. I let my fingers do the walking until I came to the name of a local plumber; I called him and he said that, although he had "planned to go to a cattle auction" this morning, he thought he could get the job done before the auction started. He arrived less than 15 minutes after I called, a 50ish-looking man in a red sweatshirt and dark navy jeans, hay stuck to the bottom of his shoes. "I'm really a farmer," he said, apologizing for the hay on my carpet, "but plumbing pays the bills."

He was in my kitchen for less than 40 minutes altogether. I chatted with him a bit about farming and plumbing, and I paid the bill: $63.00. I knew that was a really good deal, since most of the plumbers I had called in the past charged at least that just to walk through the door. I didn't realize how good of a deal it was, however, until he said, "I hope you don't mind, but I scrubbed out your cabinet for you and polished the sink. I just like to see a clean sink."

I could've hugged him right then and there.
Posted with care by Prof. Me @ 2/24/2006 12:06:00 PM  
4 Words of Wisdom:
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger RageyOne said…

    Ahhh...a plumber after my own heart! He likes a clean sink. I would have hugged him too!

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    I am ready to move to wherever it is you live right now, just so that guy can be my plumber. Wow.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger ArticulateDad said…

    Wow. When I had a landscaping business, it was always my goal to leave the place looking better than it was when I came there. I never understand these contractors who leave a mess, and think it isn't their job. Well, you hired me to install new outlets, not patch the walls. You'll have to get someone else to tackle that job! Sheesh!

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger MusicalMom said…

    Wow. How great is that!?!?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Post History
Archives
Favorite Web Destinations
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER